Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Pressue monitors on aftermarket wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 08:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Tire Pressue monitors on aftermarket wheels

I have been lurking around and reading through the "your truck, your lift and your wheels" thread, Great looking trucks guys. It came to mind, what happens with the tire pressure monitoring system on the trucks when you switch the wheels out. Not having the system wouldn't bother me but having the light on the dash illuminated would drive me nuts. What do you guys do?
Old 07-02-2012, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they put them in the new wheels !
Old 07-02-2012, 08:56 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Like ecoboostkid said, they put them in the new ones.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:34 AM
Bye F150, hello F250

Received 92 Likes on 61 Posts

Either swap them to the new wheels,or order new ones and a TPMS tool to reprogram the truck each time you swap between the sets. That is what I did. The tool was $34 at the dealer, new set of TPMS valve stems was $200 i think, about 8% of the overall tire/rim replacement set that I got.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:25 AM

I wouldnt order new sensors sense your old ones will work just fine.

Discount tire will reprogram your sensors to the correct air pressure so dont buy the tool either.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:40 AM
2012 F150 XLT 5.0

I orderd 4 new ones, but I put new wheels and tires on at the same time. Not sure about some tool, I just put everything on new and no light coming on
Old 07-04-2012, 09:42 AM
Bye F150, hello F250

Originally Posted by Stenz
Discount tire will reprogram your sensors to the correct air pressure so dont buy the tool either.
The sensors are not programmed to air pressure. The sensors transmit a signal with the tire pressure, to receivers on the truck, the truck's computer makes the decision to alert the driver when the pressure is too low. The sensors are reprogrammed to the truck's receivers so when tires are swapped, even rotated, they should be reprogrammed to the truck's receivers so the truck knows which tire is low when it occurs. Same as swapping sensors.

When I swapped my tires, with new sensors, no re-programming, i did not get a warning until 30 miles later. The old tires were in the back, they go to sleep after a while and stop transmitting which is what happened to me. After 30 miles, the truck was not receiving its expected frequencies from the new sensors so I got a warning light. The tool solved that.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:17 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Platinum_Sean
The sensors are not programmed to air pressure. The sensors transmit a signal with the tire pressure, to receivers on the truck, the truck's computer makes the decision to alert the driver when the pressure is too low. The sensors are reprogrammed to the truck's receivers so when tires are swapped, even rotated, they should be reprogrammed to the truck's receivers so the truck knows which tire is low when it occurs. Same as swapping sensors.

When I swapped my tires, with new sensors, no re-programming, i did not get a warning until 30 miles later. The old tires were in the back, they go to sleep after a while and stop transmitting which is what happened to me. After 30 miles, the truck was not receiving its expected frequencies from the new sensors so I got a warning light. The tool solved that.
Do you know what powers the sensors to transmit a signal? If its a battery how long will it last.
Also I have this system on my 2004 Explorer and in the winter it sometimes gives me a false warning. When it sits in the parking lot at work all day, I start it up to go home and the TPS light is on. Well theres nothing I can do about it until I get home. soon as I get home I check to find the low tire, but none of the tires are low. I don't see the need for a TPS. I always and have always checked and mantained the air pressure in my tires.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:23 AM

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I kept my stock ones in my 22s, but used gm tpms valve stems.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:38 PM
Bye F150, hello F250

Originally Posted by sobingpos
Do you know what powers the sensors to transmit a signal? If its a battery how long will it last..
In theory, 7-10 years. There is a small battery within the device, that goes to sleep when idle making the battery last longer. Even with a low tire in a parkng lot, you would probably have to move the truck a few feet to wake up the sensor to send the pressure info as its not always broadcasting.

My Chryco van did the same thing when it got real cold- always gave a low pressure warning. But not smart enough to tell me which tire. Drove me nuts. The van was 6 years old.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressue monitors on aftermarket wheels