Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing chain rattle at cold start, but really bad after an hour

Old 05-23-2019, 09:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Timing chain rattle at cold start, but really bad after an hour

I've done some searching and seen videos and people describing the startup timing chain rattle and definitely seems like what I'm experiencing. I'd chalk it up as just something to live with, except if I let the truck sit for 45min to a few hours, the truck will bog and shake at startup. It eventually corrects itself (within maybe 5 seconds) and then seems fine. No driveability issues that I've noticed, but it's getting really frustrating.

A few years ago I changed all of the normal timing components (cam phasers, timing chains, tensioners and arms, and guides). Last summer I took it apart to investigate the rattling and found the passenger side guide had broken into a few pieces. I replaced it with non-OEM parts. Two weeks ago I suspected it had happened again with the rattling I was hearing. I made sure to order all knew OEM tensioner arms and guides, and when I took it apart, sure enough both sides' arms had broken. I replaced those and the rattling persisted. I ordered new OEM guides and tensioner arms again, tensioners, and VCT solenoids. I also ordered some new chains but they aren't due in until late next week, but we're traveling this weekend and I wanted to try and take care of the issue. The chains are only a few years old so I took the risk and figured it was unlikely the chains had stretched a significant amount in that little of time.

Last night (after spending way too long working on it - I _hate_ removing/installer the roller followers) I got it back together. I heard the rattle when I started it up but figured it was due to being dry after replacing the oil, etc. This morning I started the truck and it's the same damn story. Nothing's changed.

Does anyone know what this might be? I'm kicking myself for not waiting for the chains but I really am not convinced that's it. The phasers are Cloyes ones which I had heard good things about, but I'm considering buying some OEM ones. Anything else I should consider?

Again, I would accept it if it was just a little rattle at start up, but when I let it sit for a shorter amount of time I'd used the term "violently shaking" until the tension is regained. If I turn it off, then start it again immediately it starts up perfectly and you wouldn't think there was anything wrong with it.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:00 PM

Received 214 Likes on 122 Posts

This wont really help at this point but with all the time and money you have invested in this thing I would think replacing the complete long block would have been a better choice and still might be. You may have a clogged oil passage somewhere. How many miles do you have? When you open it up do you see any oil sludge anywhere?
Old 05-23-2019, 10:16 PM

Lol you're not wrong. I haven't noticed any sludge. I will add the first time I did the timing components I didn't have the valve spring tool and ended up being a valve stem so the driver's side head has been off and cleaned up before.. Not sure if that helps just more info.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:47 AM

Added a video of the lukewarm (?) start.

Old 05-24-2019, 08:41 AM

Received 1,208 Likes on 969 Posts

Originally Posted by maik
Added a video of the lukewarm (?) start.

ouch!! he is doing damage to his motor making that video and i'm sure of it
Old 05-27-2019, 10:58 PM

For what it's worth, it was the cam phasers. I ended up replacing the 3 year old Cloyes ones with OEM ones and the problem went away. I used
which worked great since I already had the cheese wedge tool on hand.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Timing chain rattle at cold start, but really bad after an hour