Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.

Thoughts on higher mileage ecoboost

Old 05-19-2019, 08:42 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Thoughts on higher mileage ecoboost

OK guys, don't shoot me, but I traded my 2013 FX4 off on a new car for my wife. So now I'm looking for a comparable vehicle with most of the options that I already had but with higher miles so I can get into it cheaper. So my question is this: how much should I worry about buying an ecoboost truck that has around 150K miles? Do I need to worry about the turbos? Keep in mind I only use this truck for pulling my trailer about 15 times a year. I put on about 6K miles a year on my last truck.

It's at a dealer and I will be getting the history of the truck and it's maintenance. So what are your guys thoughts?

Thanks in advance
Old 05-20-2019, 12:33 PM

Received 361 Likes on 322 Posts

Have fun with the other responses

Used vehicles are generally based on how well the maintenance was done on them. If someone took care of them, odds are if it has 150,000 miles on it already, it will be fine. If they did not take care of it, 150,000 miles might be pushing the life of it.

Turbo's would not be my concern, I don't know of many that have needed to be replaced. Timing chain would be the only one I would be concerned with and if I didn't hear it on a couple of cold starts, then it wouldn't concern me either.
The following users liked this post:
13XLTEco (05-22-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 12:35 PM
Boost Believer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Find out if its had the timing chain and cam phasers changed out. If not, they will be in your not too distant future, to the tune of over $4k. You'll never know how well/often it was maintained, so the rest is a crapshoot. Unless the dealer has the service paperwork to back it up. Turbos should be fine.
Old 05-20-2019, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by j20brett View Post
Find out if its had the timing chain and cam phasers changed out. If not, they will be in your not too distant future, to the tune of over $4k.
Don't take this as calling you out, this is just in the mind of presenting actual information and scaring others out of a potentially great vehicle. I have no preference between f150 engine choices other than I would love a 6.2l just because it is a 6.2l . Besides that all of the engines are, in reality, super reliable (like over 95% reliable if maintained properly).

Can you back this statement up? It is making it sound like you are guaranteed timing chain issues and that is not true by any means. Even if we go to the more extreme and say 10% of eco's have that, that means he still has a 90% chance of not having it. I can go through reasoning on why I say 10%. But the biggest reasons are if we take the number of forum posts (every one counts as an individual post in the multiple f150 forums which isn't true) or other means of reporting timing chain issues to the number of ecoboost f150's sold, it ends up being under 3%.

Another reason is you can buy an extended warranty for around $1200.
Extended warranties wouldn't be being sold for under $5,000 if the ecoboost was guaranteed to have timing chain issues. Extended warranty companies have performed more data analysis than any of us on how to maximize their profits on extended warranties.

Last edited by jdunk54nl; 05-20-2019 at 12:45 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jdunk54nl:
13XLTEco (05-22-2019), new_2_trucks_guy (05-20-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 12:54 PM

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

I will weigh in for my personal experience. I bought my Ecoboost with 77k miles. Iím now at 95k. I have the timing chain rattle. It happens more in the winter. It also tends to go longer in between rattles right after oil changes. But within 2000 miles of oil change, the rattle comes back. It is also getting more frequent.

In my case, I did purchase the extended warranty. I reported it initially to the dealer I purchased from. Their response was they couldnít duplicate the problem. Now I know the TSB for it says the customer only needs to complain about the rattle for it to be addressed. So Iíve still got about 14,000 miles left on my extended warranty. I will be taking the truck in sometime relatively soon to get the cam phasers and tensioner replaced under warranty. I found a much better, more reliable, and customer friendly dealer who said whenever Iím ready to bring it in.

Now with all this being said, I love my truck. I love the eco. And I wouldnít hesitate to recommend it to others. But I would also recommend buying the extended warranty.
13XLTEco (05-22-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 12:58 PM

My last truck was also the Eco but I only had 51K miles on it when I traded it. I really didn't want to get rid of it but under the circumstances it was the right thing to do. So that leaves me with having to buy a higher mileage truck so I can get into the $14-$16K range. I can check on extended warranty but I have no idea on cost. Go through dealer or?
Old 05-20-2019, 01:05 PM

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Iíve read of people shopping prices for the extended warranty. Do a search on here for ford ESP or platinumcare? Not positive thatís what itís called. But people have found dealers all around the country who have been cheaper than the one they are buying the truck through. And a lot of times your selling dealership will match the price.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Piranhaz View Post
My last truck was also the Eco but I only had 51K miles on it when I traded it. I really didn't want to get rid of it but under the circumstances it was the right thing to do. So that leaves me with having to buy a higher mileage truck so I can get into the $14-$16K range. I can check on extended warranty but I have no idea on cost. Go through dealer or?

You are again statistically better to place the extended warranty cost into a bank account (or even under your mattress is better) than to buy an extended warranty.

The dealer will probably sell you an extended warranty at about $1500-$2000. That cost includes the following

Average cost of repairs on that vehicle with that amount of miles for the time frame specified
Cost of the dealership profit (Dealerships make a lot of money on these extended warranties, even if they say it is at "their cost" they get kickbacks)
Cost of the paperwork on the extended warranty company
Cost of paying someone to do the paperwork
Cost of the building the extended warranty company is using
Profit for the extended warranty company

You are paying for all of that and probably some stuff I didn't think of. So most of that $2000 goes to those costs and only a little goes to fixing vehicles.

Now, if you are one of the oddities and actually use your extended and they pay out more than you would have to pay for it, it was a good buy. But that is the exception not the rule or extended warranty companies would be going bankrupt.

But if peace of mind is paid for through the extended warranty, then do it, otherwise they really are a waste of money.
Taggart (05-22-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by jdunk54nl View Post
You are again statistically better to place the extended warranty cost into a bank account (or even under your mattress is better) than to buy an extended warranty.

The dealer will probably sell you an extended warranty at about $1500-$2000. That cost includes the following

Average cost of repairs on that vehicle with that amount of miles for the time frame specified
Cost of the dealership profit (Dealerships make a lot of money on these extended warranties, even if they say it is at "their cost" they get kickbacks)
Cost of the paperwork on the extended warranty company
Cost of paying someone to do the paperwork
Cost of the building the extended warranty company is using
Profit for the extended warranty company

You are paying for all of that and probably some stuff I didn't think of. So most of that $2000 goes to those costs and only a little goes to fixing vehicles.

Now, if you are one of the oddities and actually use your extended and they pay out more than you would have to pay for it, it was a good buy. But that is the exception not the rule or extended warranty companies would be going bankrupt.
Don't ask me why but I bought extended warranty on my last truck for $2K but it was cheaper because it was a certified truck. A couple months ago I had to have the 4 wheel drive actuators and bearings replaced on both sides. It basically covered the cost of the warranty (would have been around $1600). To make things even better, I was able to cash out on the remaining balance and got a check back for $1400 after I traded the truck off. But I agree, this is not the norm. I usually never buy extended warranty but for some reason a buddy of mine scared me into buying it because of the turbos (I didn't really know much about them when I bough the truck).

I think you are right though, I'd rather just save a couple thousand on the side for those issues and hope it's not catastrophic.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:00 PM

Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Piranhaz View Post
Hhow much should I worry about buying an ecoboost truck that has around 150K miles? Do I need to worry about the turbos?
You need to worry about the entire turbo system. Turbos, cooling lines, oil lines, BOVs, intercooler and all the additional piping- all can be points of failure. None of it particularly cheap, or easy to replace.

None of those parts even exist on a 3.7L, 5.0L or 6.2L engine. Ignoring the timing issues, there is just a lot more crap to fail on a 3.5L EB. Simply put- if it's not there at all, it can never fail.

You want maximum reliability? Don't buy the 3.5L EB. I'm not saying they are junk, I have one in an SHO, but I'm just realistic about the complexity of it compared to other drivetrains offered in the trucks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thoughts on higher mileage ecoboost

Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: