Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking out of the box- why no disable turbo option on the ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 12:43 AM

Received 251 Likes on 137 Posts

Default Thinking out of the box- why no disable turbo option on the ecoboost

One thing I've noticed on my ecoboost is those turbos eat gas like crazy. Stay out of the boost and the fuel economy is amazing. Get into the boost and you're in single digits. Why not have a disable boost option that you can select via dash switch, giving you the option around town of normal aspiration power only. Sure the power would suck, but for city driving it would be adequate, no worse than any V6, right? And the mileage would be amazing. Need full power, flip the switch. Doesn't seem like it would be too complicated.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:01 AM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

It's actually a pretty difficult thing to accomplish. The tune is calibrated for forced induction to be heavy on the fuel to prevent detonation under load and a automatic variable setting waste gate would be needed in conjunction with a independent tune
Old 03-24-2013, 01:20 AM
AAG

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Shoulda got a 5.0
Old 03-24-2013, 01:29 AM
Beer Gut Extraordinaire

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,317 Posts

Originally Posted by eye.surgeon
One thing I've noticed on my ecoboost is those turbos eat gas like crazy. Stay out of the boost and the fuel economy is amazing. Get into the boost and you're in single digits. Why not have a disable boost option that you can select via dash switch, giving you the option around town of normal aspiration power only. Sure the power would suck, but for city driving it would be adequate, no worse than any V6, right? And the mileage would be amazing. Need full power, flip the switch. Doesn't seem like it would be too complicated.
A turbo is a detrimental part of the induction system. While Disabling the turbo completely is likely impossible, preset computer settings in the multifunction display to set lower boost levels seems more realistic. Maybe "Economy" "Auto" and "Dynamic" settings to control boost levels. All it would do is change the boost levels through an electronic boost controller. That is 100% doable and there are aftermarket EBC kits.

Originally Posted by AAG
Shoulda got a 5.0
GTFO with that! None of that in this thread.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:32 AM

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts

For that to work like you mention you'd have to have a variable exhaust manifold that has some sort of valve that either goes to the turbo to produce boost or bypasses it to run like a NA engine. The turbos would have to be mounted farther down for the valve to work and things would just get too complex and most likely super costly
Old 03-24-2013, 09:39 AM

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

Don't forget the intake side of this. It wouldn't be to difficult. Have a valve that routes the boost to atmosphere and draws air from a separate intake/air filter. Problem solved.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:47 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Centexguy
Don't forget the intake side of this. It wouldn't be to difficult. Have a valve that routes the boost to atmosphere and draws air from a separate intake/air filter. Problem solved.
what if you just tune the BOV's to be 100% open... wouldn't that cause a "pass-through" effect on the turbo's?
Old 03-24-2013, 09:59 AM
Keepin' the lights on!

Received 229 Likes on 153 Posts

Ford already did it. It's called a 3.7 V6.

That being said, the closest thing to the OP's idea is 5Star's econo tune.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:07 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

That's the cool thing about having a supercharger Vs Turbo. You can control when and how much of the pressurized air enters the intake. The Wipple system does that.

I give the OP a lot of credit...few mention how much fuel these engines will consume when getting into the go pedal or pulling. It takes fuel to make power...no matter what you drive.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:15 AM

Received 82 Likes on 52 Posts

I pull a 7 X 14 enclosed trailer. Anytime I push on the gas it is making boost and using lots of gas.

8 to 10 MPG!

Quick Reply: Thinking out of the box- why no disable turbo option on the ecoboost