Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Things to Consider for Tinting

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 05:05 PM

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Things to Consider for Tinting

What are some things to consider for tinting your windows? I've never tinted the windows of a vehicle before so this is all completely new to me. I know one obvious thing to consider is the state's guidelines for what tint percentage you're allowed. But what else should I consider? Is a certain percentage too dark to be allowed to see well at night? Is there a certain method I should make sure the shop uses? All I know is that I have seen some HORRID tinting jobs before, and I have no desire to screw up my truck so I want to make sure I get all the info before taking the plunge

Also any recommendations for good tinting shops around southern AL, northwest FL, or New Orleans area would be appreciated. I read an article of the tinting job ProPickupMag got done for their Project SuperCrew at Bama Trim up near Tuscaloosa and so I figure that guy seems like a good professional. I might drive several hours just to get it done there, but if there's a place just as good that is closer, that would be nice.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:12 PM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

I asked to see other jobs they did also as to what product they carried as there are several different grades of tint.

Some say to see how they cut the tint, there are computerized cutters that cut the tint out but my guy did it by hand and you would be hard pressed to tell.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't just go to any shop. Find someone you know and ask them where they had it done.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:18 PM

Well what do you guys think of this guy's method/job?: http://www.propickupmag.com/cool-window-tint-install/

That's why I am considering on driving all the way up to the Tuscaloosa area to get it done cause this guy seems to be good, but again I don't know anything about this kind of stuff
Old 05-22-2011, 06:15 PM
-Josh

I got mine tinted right at the dealer (Palm Bay Ford). They've got a guy that comes there to do it and gives lifetime warrantee on fading bubbles etc. Might not hurt to ask your dealer.

My only complaint was I told them to match the back and the guy went as dark as is legal (28% in FL. IIRC) which definately does not match the back. From across the parking lot it looks to match but up close you can tell the difference.

I considered taking it back and having it stripped off to get it to match the back but decided to just go with it.

The advice I was given was to make sure they warrantee against fading. I'd add that if you want to match the back be VERY clear that you want it to match.

I do love the tint and the guy did a pro job on it. FYI I paid $90 for the front two windows.

Edited to say there are some pics of my truck here-
https://www.f150forum.com/f38/finally-registered-80885/

-Josh

Last edited by Josh Dabney; 05-22-2011 at 06:20 PM.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless your truck sits in a garage 24/7, never gets touched, and never sees the light of day you need to come to terms with the FACT that eventually it will get screwed up in one way or another. All of the vehicles that I've had in the past with tinted windows have had the tint screwed up usually by me or someone in the car. I've had people accidentally put a cigarette on the tint long enough to burn it. I've gotten cuts and scratches from loading/unloading stuff in the truck. Also I use to have a car with an older professional tint job on it and it was starting to turn purple. As far as what I've heard all tint will eventually start to turn purple. The only vehicle that I've had without a single problem with the tint is my F150 that I have now and that's probably only bc I just got the windows tinted back in December. If you want advice on how dark to go I would say get it done to match the factory tint on the back window. That's what I usually get done and it seems to be just right for me. It's not too dark at night and not too light during the day.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by wrigley_1285
Unless your truck sits in a garage 24/7, never gets touched, and never sees the light of day you need to come to terms with the FACT that eventually it will get screwed up in one way or another. All of the vehicles that I've had in the past with tinted windows have had the tint screwed up usually by me or someone in the car. I've had people accidentally put a cigarette on the tint long enough to burn it. I've gotten cuts and scratches from loading/unloading stuff in the truck. Also I use to have a car with an older professional tint job on it and it was starting to turn purple. As far as what I've heard all tint will eventually start to turn purple. The only vehicle that I've had without a single problem with the tint is my F150 that I have now and that's probably only bc I just got the windows tinted back in December. If you want advice on how dark to go I would say get it done to match the factory tint on the back window. That's what I usually get done and it seems to be just right for me. It's not too dark at night and not too light during the day.
You have successfully scared the crap out of me about getting tint
Old 05-22-2011, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by cegan1825
I wouldn't worry about it too much. You just have to get of the fact that as time goes on there's more of a chance of something happening to it.

Try to think of it as you would the body of your truck. How many people can say that their daily driver has NEVER got a rock chip or ding?
Old 05-22-2011, 07:57 PM

20% matches pretty dang good...it's only tint...it can be taken off and re-done if needed. Mines darker (I think) than the limit in Oklahoma, but so is everybody else...including the cops. I've never been checked or asked about the % of my tint, I'm sure they'd add that to it, if I was arrested for trying to avoid arrest and drug transportation or smuggling illegal aliens???

You won't have much trouble if any seeing out the side windows with 15-20%...it's on the back glass where you start having trouble seeing out at night. imho/ymmv
Old 05-22-2011, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by cegan1825
No worries... as team said... if anything were to happen you can get it re-done for under $100 (2 front), which is much cheaper than 95% of the things that can break or go wrong on your truck.

If you use a big reputable shop you'll likely have nothing to worry about with poor quality tint. Remember to keep the windows rolled up for a few days... should bake on fast enough in FL in the summer time though .

Quick Reply: Things to Consider for Tinting