Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Theres a hole in your block"

Old 12-29-2013, 08:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default "Theres a hole in your block"

Iowned a 2010 5.4 xlt. I put 120000 kms on that truck with no issues whatsoever. I maintain my vehicles.

I purchased a 2011 Ecoboost Platinum April 2012. It was a demo model and had 6000 kms on it.

My truck just passed the 60,000 km mark. I was driving home a couple days ago and i heard a loud pop , then the truck coasted to a stop as it shuddered , sputtered and died. The display briefly flashed the orange wrench icon and notified me that the oil pressure was low. I smelled burnt oil.

I had the truck towed to the stealership and in the morning i was notified that there was a "hole in the block".

What would cause this? Is my truck a Lemon or is the Eco boost as bad as people say?

Im a little put off by this whole experience , and i hope the dealership steps up to the plate and backs the product they sold me. Everybody i know drives a truck. Ive never heard of any vehicle cratering like this. Let alone a 60 000 dollar half ton.

I love my truck , and im a Ford guy , but this is the kind of thing that sends a guy down to the GM stealership....
Old 12-29-2013, 08:26 PM

Received 175 Likes on 112 Posts

Sounds like a rod let go. Happened to my brother's Civic, but it had 300,000 miles on it and he let it run out of oil. Sorry man.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:28 PM

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts

I think it is rare, but, I do have to say I've read about maybe two or three others doing that. I'm certain Ford will stand by you and replace the engine on a truck that new, especially since their reputation is really on the line with Ecoboost engines.

Hey, Canada Brianna (or is it Chrystal up there?), come on, help old Lmac out here!
Old 12-29-2013, 08:39 PM

Received 130 Likes on 104 Posts

Had a customer with a 4.2 that did that when he started it in the morning. No rhyme or reason, poo happens.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:51 PM
Retired and loving it!

Received 536 Likes on 398 Posts

I do hope that your Ford dealership steps up and gets it fixed for you. It's too bad that this happened to you, but this kind of thing does happen with internal combustion engines....all kinds. I don't think that the EB is particularly prone to this over any other engine.....
Old 12-29-2013, 08:52 PM
Beer Gut Extraordinaire

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,317 Posts

I work with a guy who's Ecoboost popped. Unfortunately it was tuned, so he was out $13,000 for a new engine. The only reason we hear about Ecoboosts blowing up is because it's one of the better selling engines in the lineup, and most that have blown had tunes on them that push the engine beyond it's designed limit. Pay to play.

If you're not tuned, Ford will replace the engine under warranty. After you get it back, I'd probably get rid of it. The guy that I work with is having numerous drivability problems with the new engine. Not sure what sort of problems, but he describes it as not feeling as solid as it did before.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:40 PM
Flatlander

Received 283 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by HardcoreFXFour
After you get it back, I'd probably get rid of it. The guy that I work with is having numerous drivability problems with the new engine. Not sure what sort of problems, but he describes it as not feeling as solid as it did before.
Exactly why I dumped mine. I wasn't prepared to deal with that with only 31,000 KMs left of warranty. With my luck, the new engine would have died at 100,001 kms and I would be on the hook.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:48 PM

Received 325 Likes on 223 Posts

Is the truck still under warranty?
Old 12-29-2013, 09:51 PM

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Lmac83
Iowned a 2010 5.4 xlt. I put 120000 kms on that truck with no issues whatsoever. I maintain my vehicles.

I purchased a 2011 Ecoboost Platinum April 2012. It was a demo model and had 6000 kms on it.

My truck just passed the 60,000 km mark. I was driving home a couple days ago and i heard a loud pop , then the truck coasted to a stop as it shuddered , sputtered and died. The display briefly flashed the orange wrench icon and notified me that the oil pressure was low. I smelled burnt oil.

I had the truck towed to the stealership and in the morning i was notified that there was a "hole in the block".

What would cause this? Is my truck a Lemon or is the Eco boost as bad as people say?

Im a little put off by this whole experience , and i hope the dealership steps up to the plate and backs the product they sold me. Everybody i know drives a truck. Ive never heard of any vehicle cratering like this. Let alone a 60 000 dollar half ton.

I love my truck , and im a Ford guy , but this is the kind of thing that sends a guy down to the GM stealership....

I dont know about you, but I drove the crap out of the truck on the test drive before I bought one (and didnt buy that one). 6000 km of test drives is a very hard break in, and it likely incurred some damage way back then from multiple people like me...
Old 12-29-2013, 10:06 PM
It is what it is...

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That is what I was thinking. A demo is like getting a rental car...you know it has had the hell drove out of it.

I still find it funny all the people bashing the ecoboost motors. Any motor, in any vehicle, you can find all types of people having all types of problems. These machines are not made from the hand of God, they are made by man. Because of this they are all going to have their issues.

Good luck OP, I hope they get you squared away!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "Theres a hole in your block"