Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tell Me About Your Headers

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 06:28 PM

Received 716 Likes on 492 Posts

Default Tell Me About Your Headers

I'm thinking about installing a set of headers on my truck. ARH, Stainless Works, and Kooks all make great products, but I'm leaning towards Kooks as their "green" cats are supposed to prevent check engine lights in 90% of situations, the big question in my mind is what about that other 10%? I saw on some forums that people did have issues with the Kooks green cats and were promised a fix once it was developed, but I can't seem to find any info on what that fix was or if it ever came out. ARH and Stainless Works only offer high flow "race" cats so a check engine light is pretty much a guarantee.

I did see that Hooker makes some shorty headers that look nice and they are also much cheaper as they retain the factory catted y-pipe instead of replacing it, but I can't find any reviews on their blackheart headers aside from some dodge ones that are known to crack badly. Has anyone tried these on a 5.0 F150 yet?
https://www.holley.com/products/exha.../70303405-RHKR

I'd like to know what headers other people are running on their 5.0 F150s and what issues you've had, if any. Did you wind up with P0420/P0430 codes, did they fit well, and did they eventually crack? Overall were they worth it, or were the gains not worth the hassle or the problems that arose later?
Old 06-16-2019, 09:56 AM

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

I have just recently installed Stainless power Headers on my 6.2l with high flow cats. So far ,no cel. They are a great product and the sound is second to none. I considered Kooks with the "green" cats, considerably , but just could not wrap my mind on how expensive they are. I wanted to run the green cats because it was my understanding that they were the best for Suoercharged applications. But ,then also heard otherwise. I have heard both positive and negative about them. Never heard any complaints about SW headers and this is my second time using them on my pick ups.I get some noticeable power gains, and the sound of perfectly breathing motor. I love them and have never had an issue with them. The customer service at SW is top notch. You should not get a CEL when you install, but that can be easily tuned out, which you should do if you install headers.

Hope this helps
Old 06-16-2019, 09:59 AM

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

And, by the way...... mine is tuned by JDM Engineering and perhaps the headers are tuned out, Can't recall!
Old 06-16-2019, 10:42 AM

Received 196 Likes on 163 Posts

I have an '11 Lariat with the 6.2. I have the complete Stainless Works system on mine. Long Tube Headers, High Flow cats, X-pipe, and duals with the chambered mufflers. Had system installed in Nov. 2011. Been flawless. Several months ago the bracket ahead of the mufflers broke at the welds. Stainless Works covered it under the warranty with a complete set of updated brackets. No CEL light ever, no rust, etc..
Old 06-16-2019, 12:15 PM

Received 716 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by Scarlet
I have an '11 Lariat with the 6.2. I have the complete Stainless Works system on mine. Long Tube Headers, High Flow cats, X-pipe, and duals with the chambered mufflers. Had system installed in Nov. 2011. Been flawless. Several months ago the bracket ahead of the mufflers broke at the welds. Stainless Works covered it under the warranty with a complete set of updated brackets. No CEL light ever, no rust, etc..
I'm surprised to hear that the high flow cats never gave you a check engine light, did you have your truck tuned to prevent the CEL form coming on for cat codes? This was very common a few years ago but since SCT and Bully Dog got fined by the EPA in 2018 it seems very few tuners are willing to take the risk anymore. It cost the two companies owned by Derive $6,250,000 to bring their products into compliance and a $300,000 fine.

Thanks for the input on their warranty support, did they ship you new parts after sending them pictures or did they require the old parts to be shipped back first?

Last edited by SALEEN961; 06-16-2019 at 12:20 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 12:18 PM

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Scarlet
any sound clips of this system?
Old 06-17-2019, 01:09 PM

Received 196 Likes on 163 Posts

Special ordered the truck in Oct. 2010, took delivery in Jan. 2011. In Nov. I decided to do the exhaust and went with Stainless Works. At the time the truck was stock with about 18,000 miles. I got a SCT Livewire in Feb. 2013 from 5 Star with custom tunes. Truck had about 33,000 miles on her, so ran on exhaust for about 15,000 miles with no CEL light, or any other issues. Truck has about 83,000 miles on her now and has never had any issues. When the bracket broke I emailed Stainless Works. They emailed me back and asked for pics. It was already off the truck. Exhaust was still solid without it. I sent the pics. stainless Works actually called me to say they would be sending a complete set of updated brackets under warranty. I just installed the bracket I needed and all is still good. Sound is awesome. When tramp on she sounds like a Nascar truck. Heads turn when I do, Lol. Cruising isn't that loud. I do get a little droan but not intrusive. No sound clips. Nit much on Social net stuff....

The following users liked this post:
SALEEN961 (06-17-2019)
Old 04-28-2023, 10:59 AM
D-H

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Reviving this topic, recently I've become interested in adding long tube headers for my 5.0. All I've done for my exhaust is a cat-back system, trying to confirm that something like the stainless works long tube headers with "factory connect" are compatible with what i've got.

Is getting a tune to prevent check engine light or fault codes tricky?

Also curious to hear if anyone has gotten any grief with inspections where they happen to live. Most kits online refer to california emissions standards, I don't live there and never will; still its hard to find simple, clearly stated standards for other states when i search online.
Old 04-28-2023, 03:37 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Stay away from 2M they do not fit and they are miserable to deal with when they ship things that don't fit.

After my pain my buddy went with BBK and they worked just fine with his stock resonator & no muffler. We did it over a long weekend with plenty of beers and bbq. Honestly this combo is way too loud for any type of normal driving in these slow trucks.

Quick Reply: Tell Me About Your Headers