Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TCUSA American Roll Cover - Impression

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up TCUSA American Roll Cover - Impression

Just installed the Truck Covers USA "American Roll Cover" last week and thought I would post my impression and a few pics.

First off, I would say that as far as a DIY project, this installation is not difficult at all. The hardest part for me, was finding a 1 1/4" metal hole saw needed to install the rear drain tubes. The ease of the installation also helps to off-set the rather high price of this unit $1,389.00 US

After overcoming the price shock of this roll cover and getting it installed, I must say I'm highly impressed. This thing is built like a tank! extremely easy to operate. There are a few way you can access the bed area which I like a lot.

As for water issues, I've only ran through the car wash once since its been installed, and a very minimal about of water was present towards the rear tailgate area, probably due more to the tailgate step than the cover itself.

My only gripe with this cover.. and not really a gripe, but if I wanted to nick pick out something, it would have to be how the rails bow-out towards the rear of the tailgate. from what I've been told, the way the rails are mounted and shimmed there's not really a way to correct this.

Over all, I would recommend this cover for someone looking for top notch quality and strength.

Here are some pics... sorry about the mobile phone quality.

Slight Rail bow toward tailgate

Three mounting areas on each rail

Once the tailgate is dropped, you can retract the cover by pulling on this release cable

Last edited by Spero7; 02-08-2011 at 07:09 PM. Reason: 1.25" hole saw... thanks Stage4
Old 02-08-2011, 03:22 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Cover

SWEET..

I like the idea of that cover----But just wondering how thick is it at the front of the box???

I have the 6' 1/2 foot box and load my quad into the back and i have the tail gate down as it is, It'll get about half way closed but thats it....if this unit takes up to much room then it'll be sitting on the tailgate.

THANKS
Old 02-08-2011, 03:44 PM

Looks awesome..but wow..i have personal price shock indirectly from reading you paid that much for the cover. Im hoping you just quoted MSRP and not actual cost??
Old 02-08-2011, 03:55 PM

Received 366 Likes on 284 Posts

yikes thats spendy, I have a 6.5 ft bed and www.rolltopcover.com quoted me just under 1000$ installed. Its lockable in any position and looks very good. Ultimately I didnt buy it, but if I do get a rolltop it will be this one, no question.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by blamecanada
just wondering how thick is it at the front of the box???
Blame: The canister rests on top of the lip of the box, when I was fitting this cover I needed to adjust the canister back about 1/8" inch. After taking consideration of the lip of the bed, its eating up about 9" of real estate... not to bad for my needs however if you are hauling ATVs, this may break the deal.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by sethomas101
Looks awesome..but wow..i have personal price shock indirectly from reading you paid that much for the cover. Im hoping you just quoted MSRP and not actual cost??
Unfortunately... thats exactly what I paid for it... Was getting quoted north of $1,600 installed!! Ouch!!!

Glad I installed myself, saved a little but its still pricey... If you have ever heard the saying "you get what you pay for" ... this would hold true with this cover... its built like a tank!!
Old 02-08-2011, 05:26 PM

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Thought I would mention: The drain holes at the rear are 1.25", not 2.25".

You can sometimes get those rails straight. Loosen the clamps, have one person push down HARD while the other person tightens the clamps.

Raptor

F250

A grommet comes with the cover so the hole looks nice.

Last edited by Stage4; 02-09-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by SultanGris
yikes thats spendy, I have a 6.5 ft bed and www.rolltopcover.com quoted me just under 1000$ installed. Its lockable in any position and looks very good. Ultimately I didnt buy it, but if I do get a rolltop it will be this one, no question.
A Retrax is a good cover, but it really does not compare to a TCUSA. The TCUSA is double-walled aluminum and can take over 500 pounds. The Retrax is Lexan (type of lightweight plastic) and is rated at 200 pounds. The TCUSA canister is WAY smaller than the Retrax canister.

Retrax has a new cover that's made of aluminum like TCUSA called a Protrax, but it's expensive, even more than TCUSA.

TCUSA cross section.

Retrax cross section.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:53 PM

Received 366 Likes on 284 Posts

hrm, good to know. I like how the retrax looks better, but the retrax canister is also 2 inches larger than the TCUSA it seems. I might have to take a look at the TCUSA and compare them closely if I do switch to a rolltop cover, but i dont intend on putting 500 pounds on top of my cover, haha!
Old 02-08-2011, 06:03 PM

Replacing a Retrax curtain (warranty issue).

Inside a Retrax canister without the curtain.

Quick Reply: TCUSA American Roll Cover - Impression