Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Talk about running low!! 36.79 gallons??

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 10:19 PM

Received 222 Likes on 178 Posts

Default Talk about running low!! 36.79 gallons??

I looked at the information center to see I had used 32.7 gallons of fuel after the low fuel warning came on and said,, well I still have about 4 gallons left so I will stop tomorrow on my way to the dealer. So I get to the gas station and start pumping,,,,,, WHAT??? 34 gallons and still counting .... it got to 36.79 gallons before it kicked off (I don't keep filling once it kicks off) and started looking under the truck to see if it was going out the overflow and not a drop anywhere!

I had the dealer check to see if any fuel came out since they were only a mile from the station and they said everything is dry and they didn't smell any gas?? So what do you guys think??? I know not to trust the information center anymore but have to wonder if the stations pumps are off? I doubt the tank is bigger than 36 gallons but maybe it is. I have over 12,000 miles on it and normally the info center and the amount it takes to kick off is really close so I don't know what's up? I can't help to think,,,, man I drove that thing here so either I did that on fumes or just how big is this damn tank?? Any body else been able to put over 36 gallons in before? I know I won't make that a habit as I really don't want to be sucking up any dirt into the injectors.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:22 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

My first thought would be that the station's gas meter is calculating wrong but who knows.
The following users liked this post:
Toddman38 (10-25-2013)
Old 10-24-2013, 10:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've done it before also put something like 39 gal in the 38 gallon tank of my super duty
Old 10-24-2013, 10:32 PM

Maybe I hit the reset on the info center which is why it stated 32 gallons used?? I know I have done it before switching between the two different readings so that may explain why the info center was off cause like I said every time I had filled up prior to this time it was pretty much dead on.. it said used 32.7 gallons and it would kick off at 32.8 or 6,,,, I normally have the MPG screen showing and switch to the other screen when I am getting fuel.. Well I guess I it is either the pumps are screwed up or for some reason you can fit that much in thinking the filler neck could hold a half gallon or so.. but like I said as soon as it kicks off I stop pumping!
Old 10-24-2013, 10:33 PM

Received 68 Likes on 60 Posts

I'd go with the pump was just wrong though as these trucks usually kick off early from my experience.

Pretty sure it fills up all the evap components if you get that much in it (I've read it can hold a few gallons actually). That is normally caused by people trying to top off though after it clicks off.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:39 PM

I have had that problem before for some reason. I think it must be the pumps volume cause I have had it kick off a couple of time at about 4 gallons and I know it isn't full then so I will restart it.. It seems to happen at this one station. I have that problem with my Mustang too.... I can get the truck to fill up but the Mustang is a PITA if I get a pump that kicks off, no matter how you hold the pump or try to only put it in slow it still kicks off on the Mustang. I know they had a TSB on that but I got it used and out of warranty and don't plan on spending the money to put another tank in. But where I normally get my fuel I haven't had that problem on either!
Old 10-24-2013, 10:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've noticed that the info center can be off a lot. There was a thread on here a while ago about how the gallons consumed are measured, but it's something like it's not measuring the level in the tank, but how much fuel is getting sent to the engine. If that measurement is only a few percent off, then as it compounds during driving, you can get false readings. The problem is this shows that your mpg's are better on the info screen than it actually is.

It's been very rare that the fuel consumed is equal to how much I put in, even if I had reset it at the pump.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:42 PM

Received 68 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by mamonti
I have had that problem before for some reason. I think it must be the pumps volume cause I have had it kick off a couple of time at about 4 gallons and I know it isn't full then so I will restart it.. It seems to happen at this one station. I have that problem with my Mustang too.... I can get the truck to fill up but the Mustang is a PITA if I get a pump that kicks off, no matter how you hold the pump or try to only put it in slow it still kicks off on the Mustang. I know they had a TSB on that but I got it used and out of warranty and don't plan on spending the money to put another tank in. But where I normally get my fuel I haven't had that problem on either!

My Subaru STi was the same way, absolutely dreadful to fill up. I even took the tank apart and ripped the flapper out and it didn't help at all. Most likely a breather tube problem not letting it vent properly but I never dug into it anymore as I traded it in on the truck.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:45 PM

Well I need to get gas for the leaf blower so I am going to take my 5 gallon tank to that station tomorrow and see if it takes more than five gallons as my tank it really old and you can just barely fit 5 gallons in it. I know the newer ones can hold more than 5 gallons so if I can get more than 5 in the old tank I will know the pumps are off and I will make sure they know it and give me back the money that is due! Of course I have to admit I have never had that problem before that I know of but when I was over 36 gallons I thought how in the heck could that be??
Old 10-24-2013, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Pauli18c
My Subaru STi was the same way, absolutely dreadful to fill up. I even took the tank apart and ripped the flapper out and it didn't help at all. Most likely a breather tube problem not letting it vent properly but I never dug into it anymore as I traded it in on the truck.
Yeah that is exactly what is wrong with the Mustang and I thought I could just get the filler neck and install that,,, but noooooo! The filler neck won't fit the tank and you have to replace both! I think it was somewhere near a grand and since it only happens every once and a while I make sure I don't use that station again...

Quick Reply: Talk about running low!! 36.79 gallons??