Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tailgate rattle on small bumps

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 06:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default tailgate rattle on small bumps

For some time now I have been hearing a rattling noise coming from what I thought was my rear suspension when ever I went over small bumps, cracks in the road or railroad tracks. It's sounded like something was loose or a bad bushing in a shock or spring. After much investigation and driving around with my window open listening I noticed in my side mirror that my box and tailgate were moving alot. (I know I know it's not my box, the cab is rubber mounted ) but the tailgate is what got my attention. So I grabbed the bottom of my tailgate and lifted slightly and dropped it. "CLUNK"!!

My question is this. Am I the only one with a loose tailgate? Is this common or if not what's the fix?
Old 09-03-2015, 07:56 PM

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Easy fix.. Get yourself some tirx bits that go on a ratchet. Loosen the top bolts on each side just enough to move them back 1/8 inch increments any try it. They are on a nut plate that moves and won't fall off..
Old 09-03-2015, 10:26 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by xtream
For some time now I have been hearing a rattling noise coming from what I thought was my rear suspension when ever I went over small bumps, cracks in the road or railroad tracks. It's sounded like something was loose or a bad bushing in a shock or spring. After much investigation and driving around with my window open listening I noticed in my side mirror that my box and tailgate were moving alot. (I know I know it's not my box, the cab is rubber mounted ) but the tailgate is what got my attention. So I grabbed the bottom of my tailgate and lifted slightly and dropped it. "CLUNK"!!

My question is this. Am I the only one with a loose tailgate? Is this common or if not what's the fix?
Hey xtream,

Have you had the chance to contact your dealership about this? Please PM the year and mileage of your rig; I'll see how I can help with your truck's tailgate.

Chad
Old 09-03-2015, 10:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by noboost5.0
Easy fix.. Get yourself some tirx bits that go on a ratchet. Loosen the top bolts on each side just enough to move them back 1/8 inch increments any try it. They are on a nut plate that moves and won't fall off..
It's not the mounts it is between the female and male parts of the hinge at the bottom. No bolts are actually loose or have moved I don't belive. Possibly a bushing is my guess.

Quick Reply: tailgate rattle on small bumps