Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tailgate open warning light.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Tailgate open warning light.

Am I the only idiot that has ever driven off forgetting to close tailgate, dropping stuff out the back? Why no "tailgate ajar" warning light? Something easily overridden when you want tailgate down.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:24 PM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by gomcdan
Am I the only idiot that has ever driven off forgetting to close tailgate, dropping stuff out the back? Why no "tailgate ajar" warning light? Something easily overridden when you want tailgate down.
I have lost a cooler full of stuff during our last camping trip. Dang that sucked!
Found it, but the stuff was all over the road. Kinda dangerous, too, I was lucky nothing had happened.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:27 PM
Just another member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Why? Because if these trucks were built to alleviate every idiot's failings, they would cost triple what they do now. And you would still have questions.

Just be more alert and awake and you will be ok in the future.

Thanks.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:31 PM
swazispencer

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by johnwill

Why? Because if these trucks were built to alleviate every idiot's failings, they would cost triple what they do now. And you would still have questions.

Just be more alert and awake and you will be ok in the future.

Thanks.
So they should just get rid of all lights and blinkers? Get rid of seat belts and airbags?

Being aware doesn't save your life, seatbelts do.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:31 PM
swazispencer

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I think it's a great idea! Screw anybody who disagrees.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by swazispencer
I think it's a great idea! Screw anybody who disagrees.
yep.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:44 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by swazispencer
So they should just get rid of all lights and blinkers? Get rid of seat belts and airbags?

Being aware doesn't save your life, seatbelts do.
i seriously doubt you will loose your life if you leave your tailgate down. Hes right, if they put an idiot light for every function of the truck, what would be left for the driver to do manually? theres no gas cap open, hood open, tailgate open, no window left down light, interior lights on etc.. the list goes on and on. i dont have any of these warning lights and i get by just fine
Old 07-27-2012, 10:46 PM

Received 242 Likes on 191 Posts

My issue isn't the tail gate but my extang solid fold. If I don't slam the tail gate hard enough, it won't close. But it will appear to be closed. A few times it came open while I was driving but nothing fell out.
The following users liked this post:
laredotexas (07-28-2012)
Old 07-27-2012, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by ol_blue
i seriously doubt you will loose your life if you leave your tailgate down. Hes right, if they put an idiot light for every function of the truck, what would be left for the driver to do manually? theres no gas cap open, hood open, tailgate open, no window left down light, interior lights on etc.. the list goes on and on. i dont have any of these warning lights and i get by just fine
People also got by just fine with no airbags, no anti lock brakes, and no power steering 40 years ago when you had asked them back then.
And yes, it can become dangerous when you lose something out the back at the wrong time.
It becomes an issue when you have a tonneau, as you don't see the tail gate anymore in the mirror or when looking back.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:51 PM

Received 1,388 Likes on 664 Posts

Along with that they should make a hood open warning light, gas door open warning light, window open warning light, glove box open warning light, center console open warning light, floormat crooked warning light, ash tray full warning light ect ect ect blah blah blah. How many more electronic nannys could we possibly need in our trucks? Driver laziness has gotten so bad we now have cars that park by themselves and stop before they hit stuff so the driver doesnt have to pay attention anymore. Its getting pretty stupid IMO, whatever happened to paying attention to detail or doing a walk around before you take off, or looking out the windows while driving, its free and easy to do.
The following 4 users liked this post by kozal01:
Notch (07-28-2012), RES4CUE (07-28-2012), RLXXI (03-26-2013), Toddman38 (03-25-2013)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tailgate open warning light.