Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tailgate "downgrade" to fit X-Treme Gate bed extender

Old 09-01-2014, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tailgate "downgrade" to fit X-Treme Gate bed extender

I have a 2014 FX4 that has the backup camera, backup alert sensors, and the tailgate step. I would LIKE to get one of these "X-Treme Gate bed extenders" ( www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FOKE9C6 ) but the problem is that I'm sure the tailgate step stuff will be in the way (that flip up bar handle thing). This tailgate extender is bolted onto the back of the tailgate.

While the tailgate step is really nice, I really need a square-shaped bed extender without holes in it for my 6.5' bed to make it 8'+ when I need it. I transport long boards and would like to fit 4x8 plywood, and this seems to be the only safe bed extender that would work. I don't think Ford's "official" extender is large enough for plywood (curved design) and the other after market extenders I can find are just metal bars--which would work for plywood--but would let long boards simply slide right out of the back.

The local Ford dealer says it's $1700 to replace and paint a new tailgate (and I'm sure the pain of selling my old tailgate would be on me). Not sure if that includes spray-in liner and camera extras either. I told them NO. I would deal with the pain of the short bed.

Turns out I don't like that solution. I just thought of maybe trying to open up the tailgate to remove the tailgate step bar and replacing the inside surface of the tailgate with a plain one, but it's probably not possible. Anyone have any suggestions to avoid me crawling back to a dealer to spend a fortune?

They were even trying to charge for the parts (bolts, $60 for 4 washers??, etc)... seriously? Why!
Old 09-01-2014, 10:49 PM

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

All that handle stuff fits pretty flush, I can't imagine why it wouldn't bolt over top of the handle. Or, you can just remove the handle as I've seen some people do.

Ian
Old 09-01-2014, 11:04 PM
wait. what?

Received 271 Likes on 217 Posts

I could be misunderstanding what you want, but I believe your solution is fairly simple. you can get the inner tailgate panel that comes on trucks without tailgate steps/poles, take off the current one, unbolt the pole, and stick the new panel in its place. I don't know the exact name for the part or what it would cost but I would imagine it's under $100. I remember reading about people doing this before they Line-X'd their beds since most people only use the step, and not the pole.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:07 PM
wait. what?

Received 271 Likes on 217 Posts

otherwise, you could post in the classifieds as a trade only listing, and maybe find someone else with the same color tailgate as yours with a backup camera but without the step. I would imagine unless you have a rare color like Sunset it wouldn't be too hard to find someone.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:51 PM

Received 398 Likes on 336 Posts

I have the step and had the pole. I removed it and then removed the plastic cover and covered the hole with this part number from the dealer. It was in stock.

9L3Z9943121A

Here's the thread:
https://www.f150forum.com/f38/removi...g-holes-77994/

I did the work myself and it took longer to go to the dealer and pick up the part than to do everything else.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:31 PM

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

Yeah just lose the pointless stripper pole. Keep the useful step.

Pole was gone month after I bought the truck and linex like a regular tailgate.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:18 PM

Wow! I can't believe we can just replace that inside cover so easily, and still keep the step! That's what I'm going to try. Thanks!!!
Old 09-02-2014, 10:14 PM

Received 398 Likes on 336 Posts

You're welcome. It worked for me. Just hauled home a new fridge. It slid right in under the camper shell.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:18 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Real common mod

Do a search for "stripper pole delete" or "stripper pole removal".

One of the first things I did on my loaded FX4. Other than the flat tailgate, I also wanted the tailgate linex'd like the rest of the bed.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:53 PM

I must have a lousy Ford dealer near me (lucky I didn't buy the truck from them lowlifes).

Went to the parts guy there to ask about this. He was initially telling me I'd have to get a whole new tailgate, saying that mine was "different" (the cover for a regular tailgate is a small plastic strip that goes at the top of the gate?). Then there wasn't metal underneath the plastic cover (there is, except for the top), and then when I found a regular tailgate on a truck there with a full, flat plastic cover, the stripper pole parts suddenly "became welded" onto the gate (it isn't, I looked). Also "special order parts aren't returnable". (What if I go online for it?) Then finally, when I said I'd just put that regular full size plastic cover on, "the extra bolt holes will cause rust".

None of these problems are unsolvable and I think he was just trying to get me to waste $2000 on a brand new tailgate.

I don't even want to deal with these people anymore - 3 times I've tried dealing with them and each was an annoying waste of time. I was hesitant to order online out of fear of ordering the wrong part, but now I think I will even if it costs more than these losers would charge (which I seriously doubt).

Time to go research what I need to get for a 2014 tailgate I guess... I also have an FX4 (also "loaded" I guess), where did you get the parts needed? It looks like a lot of people ordered new screws too, but why not use the old ones?

Last edited by Garoad; 09-03-2014 at 07:06 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tailgate "downgrade" to fit X-Treme Gate bed extender