Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Synthetic Oil Switch

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 03:08 PM

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Synthetic Oil Switch

So just did my first oil change since getting my truck.

Pain in the *** BTW. Who puts a drain plug within 2" of the roll bar so that when oil shoots out it hits the bar and goes f@#$ing EVERYWHERE!!! Fomoto valve here I come next time.

Anyway picked it up with 8400km on the clock and the oil had just been changed so did it on the weekend at 15200km and switched to Mobil 1 full synthetic. Hoping it helps especially in the winter with -30C starts.

My question though is if you switch to synthetic can you extend the change interval??? Manual states 12000km and I heard with synthetic you can double it, oil filter states you can go 24000km between filter changes too

That just seams too far. How far can you go on a single oil change???
Old 09-03-2014, 03:36 PM

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Yes, synthetic lasts longer but that actually depends on the environment and driving conditions and driver habits. Newer vehicles can go longer between oil changes than the older vehicles, that's for sure. Motors are staying cooler longer and wear better. Our manual says the newer F150's can go up to 10,000 miles between oil changes, but I would never test that just to be on the safe side. I never go more than 6,000 miles on full synthetic oil, even though there are experts that say I'm waisting my money. I guess old habits are hard to break.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:52 PM

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Ford Factory Fill Is a Semi-Syn... and a good one at that. There is better out there, but dont go thinking the drain interval change will be huge.

My oil will be changed in another 200-300miles. (coming up on 40k on the odo) This will be my first 10k OCI. Just as XMP64 said about old habits... it has been hard for me not to pull the plug. Ill be sending an oil sample to Blackstone for analysis to see what it looks like and what is left of it. Even if it checks out, I have no intention of going further between OCIs, but I might be willing to continue the 10k interval. If the oil is not on the border of death, I could potentially be ok with a 10k oil and 5k filter swaps in the future.

Last edited by SuperCruzin; 09-03-2014 at 03:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Synthetic Oil Switch