Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sylvania H13(9008) vs. H13ST

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sylvania H13(9008) vs. H13ST

I am looking at upgrading my headlight bulb and was wondering of there is much difference between the Sylvania Silverstar H13(9008) and the Sylvania Silverstar H13 ST (High performance lighting)

Opinions please

Thank you

Also what do you suggest to replace the fog lights?? Sylvania what???
Old 02-01-2010, 02:06 PM

Received 256 Likes on 146 Posts

The regular H13 is not Silverstar, the H13ST indicates the Silverstar line of bulbs. The H13 is pretty much the OEM bulb.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:22 PM
I remember Page 47™

I've had Silverstars in my old '07 F150 RC XL, '02 Cavalier, and '98 Tahoe.
While they are a great replacement for burnt out bulbs, I would not recommend them as an upgrade to working stock halogens. Yes, you do get a little more light output compared to stock, and the light is slightly whiter, but it's not enough to justify the $40-$50 price tag.

Unless you're on a seriously tight budget, I would HIGHLY recommend just going with HID's as an upgrade. (35watt) The light output is far greater and whiter with a set of 4300K-5000K HIDs.

Are you only thinking of white lights for the fogs or are you willing to try yellow bulbs?
Old 02-01-2010, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by TQS10
I've had Silverstars in my old '07 F150 RC XL, '02 Cavalier, and '98 Tahoe.
While they are a great replacement for burnt out bulbs, I would not recommend them as an upgrade to working stock halogens. Yes, you do get a little more light output compared to stock, and the light is slightly whiter, but it's not enough to justify the $40-$50 price tag.

Unless you're on a seriously tight budget, I would HIGHLY recommend just going with HID's as an upgrade. (35watt) The light output is far greater and whiter with a set of 4300K-5000K HIDs.

Are you only thinking of white lights for the fogs or are you willing to try yellow bulbs?

Just thinking of Whie lights for the fogs. I like the HID upgrade, but I know absolutely nothing about them and the way it looks I could spend months reading about everyone's different HID opinions which I do not have that much time for.

Thanks
Old 02-01-2010, 04:53 PM

I tried searching and there seems to be lots of debate on brightness vs lifetime, but no "clear" answers. From what i gathered going up in power decreases lifetime, but the decrease time frame is unclear, and the general lifetime of a bulb i guess cant be really measure b/c too many variables. All i know is from all the searches the name sylvania keeps coming up.

my basic need is a brighter (not crazy bright, i live in the city so no need) and whiter (not stock yellow) for both my headlights and fogs. Dont wanna go HID, this would be a much simpler swap rather than an install. Has anyone done the same and can advise???
Old 02-01-2010, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by superpoppa
I tried searching and there seems to be lots of debate on brightness vs lifetime, but no "clear" answers. From what i gathered going up in power decreases lifetime, but the decrease time frame is unclear, and the general lifetime of a bulb i guess cant be really measure b/c too many variables. All i know is from all the searches the name sylvania keeps coming up.

my basic need is a brighter (not crazy bright, i live in the city so no need) and whiter (not stock yellow) for both my headlights and fogs. Dont wanna go HID, this would be a much simpler swap rather than an install. Has anyone done the same and can advise???
My thoughts exactly, From everything that I have read it looks like the best best for the Headlights is the Sylvania Silverstar (H13ST) The silverstar "Ultra" would be best but is not made in the (H13)
Old 02-01-2010, 05:53 PM

Default SilverStar

I just put the silverstar bulbs in my truck, I love them. HID would be great these are just plug in and go. I got them on ebay for under 30 bucks to my door new in box. I also upgraded fogs to a Yellow love them. When you take 3 bolts out to remove headlight there are two clip on outside take one hand behind and push and pull with other hand straight out.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:34 PM

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Any recommendations where to get decent HIDS for the fogs?
Old 02-01-2010, 07:53 PM
I remember Page 47™

retro-solutions.com is a very reputable site with quality products, but others on here like myhids.com for their low price, but I don't know about their longterm quality.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:15 PM

I am starting to think i should go HID just to not worry about brightness, fake blue brightness, lifetime. found this kit online but gonna search some more for a reputable one.

http://www.carid.com/product.php?pro...t=81090&page=1

Quick Reply: Sylvania H13(9008) vs. H13ST