Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sway bar rubbing

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 08:08 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Sway bar rubbing

So i have a 2012 f150 platinum 4x4 and have rough country 6" lift with 35" tires and recently went to a -12 offset rim, i get tire rub on the sway bar when i turn all the way left and really bad when in reverse, is there something i could do? Is the hellwig more out of the way than the stock one or should i get a new one made for lifted trucks would that fix three issue?
Old 03-04-2017, 11:30 PM

Received 123 Likes on 118 Posts

I have to ask but are you 1 million percent sure it is rubbing the sway bar? Can you see a shiny patch on the sway bar where the tires were rubbing it?

Reason I ask is because I had this issue on my 06 F150 when I put 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers on the stock 20's with a level. So the 20x8.5 +44mm offset 6.14" BS stock wheels were too close to everything inside and the lugs of the Nittos rubbed the sway bar and made a shiny patch on it...took me a little to figure out where it rubbed.
With you having a -12mm offset, so let's guess and say a 20x9 wheel which would be like a 4.5" BS, if I remember right, I don't think you should be close to touching the inside parts like sway bar, knuckle, or UCA. You may hit the front bumper/valence or lower inner fender by the door with a negative offset but even that seems extreme with only a -12mm....What is the specs on your tire? Also, what wheels did you have on before that didn't rub?
The following users liked this post:
mself52 (03-05-2017)
Old 03-05-2017, 09:07 AM

Yes that's the only place that has rubbed shot on it, and it's only at full turn but damn i am using full turn daily when parking so it sounds terrible
Old 03-05-2017, 10:32 AM

This is the passenger side it's not very bad

Here is drivers side you can see it's already worn through the powder coating
Old 03-05-2017, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by 06F150CFCT
I have to ask but are you 1 million percent sure it is rubbing the sway bar? Can you see a shiny patch on the sway bar where the tires were rubbing it?

Reason I ask is because I had this issue on my 06 F150 when I put 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers on the stock 20's with a level. So the 20x8.5 +44mm offset 6.14" BS stock wheels were too close to everything inside and the lugs of the Nittos rubbed the sway bar and made a shiny patch on it...took me a little to figure out where it rubbed.
With you having a -12mm offset, so let's guess and say a 20x9 wheel which would be like a 4.5" BS, if I remember right, I don't think you should be close to touching the inside parts like sway bar, knuckle, or UCA. You may hit the front bumper/valence or lower inner fender by the door with a negative offset but even that seems extreme with only a -12mm....What is the specs on your tire? Also, what wheels did you have on before that didn't rub?

You are correct the rub spots must of been from before when i had the tire on the stock rims.....the loud popping sound is actually the passenger side tire rubbing the black plastic part of the bumper I'm guessing the -12 offset put the tire out a little further giving it a perfect angle to hit the corner....i plan to add 2" spacer to my rough country lift to level out the front and it should stop
Old 03-05-2017, 03:47 PM

Received 123 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by mself52
You are correct the rub spots must of been from before when i had the tire on the stock rims.....the loud popping sound is actually the passenger side tire rubbing the black plastic part of the bumper I'm guessing the -12 offset put the tire out a little further giving it a perfect angle to hit the corner....i plan to add 2" spacer to my rough country lift to level out the front and it should stop
Well I'm glad you were able to figure it out! I was shocked to see the same type of wear marks on the sway bar like I use to have. I thought damn, now I have no idea how those could be rubbing. But yes makes sense from your old ones and now you are just hearing a more pronounced noise from the plastic piece. A 2" spacer should definitely solve that issue.