Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapped FX4 Wheels - TPMS Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 09:51 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Swapped FX4 Wheels - TPMS Question

I don't know much at all about TPMS, so any help is greatly appreciated.

I have a 2013 FX4 and just bought a set of the black 20" FX4 wheels to replace my 18's. The guy I bought them from originally bought them from someone else, and he wasn't sure whether they had TPMS sensors in them.

So, first question: Is it possible to tell whether the original seller left the TPMS sensors in the wheels just by looking at them?

Second, I mounted the new tires on my truck last night and drove to work this morning, about 40 miles, and got no tire pressure error indicator so far. If it turns out there are no sensors in the tires, how long does it usually take for the truck to realize it and set the error light? I've read some posts here saying they swapped wheels from a similar year/trim level and didn't have to retrain TPMS sensors to do so.

Last edited by Jimbo Jones; 08-22-2017 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:18 AM

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,725 Posts

You would have to remove the tires to see the sensors physically. You could use forscan to check the sensors, if you're set up for that it's the easiest way.

I think it is supposed to be something like 20 miles or 20 minutes before the system would throw an error for missing tpms (didn't look it up today), but reality seems to be random times from a mile to 100s of miles.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:36 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I do have a forscan setup. Would it show up as a DTC or is it in one of the modules such as BCM?
Old 08-22-2017, 10:36 AM

Received 156 Likes on 99 Posts

I installed some wheels and rubber knowing very well the new wheels had the wrong sensors. It would throw a code at random, anywhere from an hour to 10 minutes. At first it took quite some time and thought, "hey this might work", but no such luck. It would come and go.
Any tire shop will be able to tell you in a couple minutes.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:50 AM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

If the sensors are installed and they are from a 09 through 14 they must be retrained to work. there is a process outlined in the manual you can do at home without special tool [you will need air] You can buy the training tool [about $30] from ebay, amazon etc a must if you do your own tire rotation. Most any competent tire shop can retrain in minutes and they can scan and tell if you have working sensors If the sensors are from a 15 or newer truck the do not need to be retrained. HOWEVER they wont work in a 14 or older truck.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:00 AM

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,725 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbo Jones
I do have a forscan setup. Would it show up as a DTC or is it in one of the modules such as BCM?
Go to the gauge tab, 3rd one down. You have to set it all up which ones you want. There are a million choices, each wheel has its own. You'll have to do some trial and error until you get used to what forscan calls everything, I don't remember the names offhand. There are tpms error gauges, air pressure gauges, etc. If they aren't there, it should become obvious. You probably have to drive a bit for gauges to work, it's not the same as changing your DRLs or other setup like that.

Last edited by Spiky; 08-22-2017 at 11:02 AM.