Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof Fixed. 2010 Screw.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 09:43 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Sunroof Fixed. 2010 Screw.

First, I'd like to give a huge THANKS to the forum. Without various posts about sunroof failure, I would not have been able to get information and repair my broken sunroof so easily and quickly.

The below is not a How-To as there are some REALLY good ones out there already. This is more of a, here's my thoughts on this project. I will put a couple of links below for How-To's that I found.

I've had this truck about a year and a half. A couple of days ago I opened the sunroof. There were some snapping / breakage noises and the sunroof stopped in a canted position with one side more forward than the other. I managed to close it enough manually to keep most of the rain out. I researched YT and f150forum. I ordered parts from the Sunroof Doctor from ebay for about $120 shipped in two days. It took me about four or so hours to replace the sliding mechanisms in the tracks. I did have to take the headliner out a second time in order to "time" the sunroof motor. Everything works great now with the exception of a bit more wind noise than when I started. I will try to tweak that out over the next few days.

I found where someone previous to me had made a repair to the right (passenger's) side sliding mechanism arm assembly. They made an epoxy repair and had gotten some of it in the track. This took a little bit to clean up so as to hopefully not catch or impede the new sliding bits.

I was very pleased with the service from Sunroof Doctor. I got the parts in two days. The parts kit was about $120 including shipping. My only complaint is that the instructions could use some more details. When I put everything together, I understood the instructions to say that the sliding arms should be all the way forward in the track, closing the windscreen. I understood that the mechanisms / rod assemblies that tilt the sunroof were to be all the forward as well, holding the sunroof glass mount arms in the UP position. After installing everything, I found the sunroof glass moved less than an inch and reversed itself. I ended up dropping the headliner and removing the motor looking to "TIME" it. Per the instructions, there was no "window" on my motor to indicate a "Closed" position. I reinstalled the motor and used an allen wrench on a socket to operate the sunroof through the motor. After a couple of different positions, the sunroof closed and opened. I was able to "time" the sunroof using some of the guides from YouTube.

Not a bad job overall, it just takes some time. Definitely worth the time and effort to save on a big repair bill by a dealership.

New Parts Kit from Sunroof Doctor via eBay.

A previous repair.

Headliner down before complete removal.

Sunroof assembly on the workbench.

Previous repair left a blob of epoxy on the passenger side track.

Unit re-installed.

Lots of little broken pieces.

Here is a quick video of the operation of my sunroof after parts replacement -

Link to a really good How-To -

Programming after parts replacement -

Last edited by Stickman81; 05-27-2018 at 09:57 PM.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Same exact thing happened to my 2010 a couple months ago. Dealer wanted over 2000 for a complete replacement. Ordered the parts from the sunroof doctor and installed in about 6 hours with my dad using the how-to video step by step. Much better then paying for the whole replacement and very happy with how it works now!

For anyone doing this, when first testing out the sunroof after installing the new parts it might not work. It happened to me and I was very nervous we had messed something up. All you have to do is hold the close button down for about 45 seconds to a minute and you'll hear it set itself up and then it'll work perfectly!

Good luck with anyone taking on the project. Takes a while but definitely worth it!
Old 06-11-2018, 01:08 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Mine kicked the bucket this weekend. I think ill get the parts and save this fix for Fall when its cooler. I just popped the fuse out so I cannot use it. fortunately It is in the proper closed position.

Quick Reply: Sunroof Fixed. 2010 Screw.