Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions for waterproof bedcover

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 12:27 AM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Suggestions for waterproof bedcover

Looks like I may be taking the truck cross-country in a few months. Between myself, wife baby and dogs there isn't much room left in the truck. I would need to be able to put some luggage in the bed of the truck that I don't want to get wet (or snowed on).

I'm trying to justify driving instead of flying, which means I can't drop $1k on a tonneau cover. I like the idea of the backflip but don't know if it's going to be in my price range.

Suggestions?
Old 08-10-2011, 01:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought an Extang Trifecta soft top for my 2011 6.5ft box. Just got back from a 4000 km trip with several days of hard rain. The vinyl flaps a little bit at highway speeds but not a drop of water got inside. Plus you can remove and install it in about 2 minutes. Only paid about $450 here in Canada so it should be alot less down south.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought a TonnoPro for under $300 shipped and took the truck threw the high powered car wash twice, not a single drop of water in the bed.

-TheChad
Old 08-10-2011, 02:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same issue...planning a road trip and needed a tonneau cover for my screw with the 5.5 ft bed. Many folks here recommended one of the Bakflip models. I liked the idea of having nearly full access to the bed without removing the cover and the low profile design. I read many positive reviews, and some negative as well. In the end I decided I didn't care for the internally attached track and also wanted the option of mounting a roof rack on the cover. I ended up going with a Line-X aluminum cover with the black Line-X coating. Very heavy duty and I like the look. It is made by Diamondback for Line-X, basically the same as the SE version, but without the diamond pattern. It seems like it will be as waterproof as is possible for a tonneau. Might be worth a look. They have pictures on their website. Mine was $899 delivered...not cheap, but built to last for sure.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Or do it on the cheap and put the Luggage inside of a trash bag.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:03 AM
BOOMER-SOONER!!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Bone dry since '05

I've had my Access Loredo cover for 6 years now on two different trucks and it is still going strong w/ no leaks. They are around the $400 range.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:56 AM

Received 404 Likes on 256 Posts

Extang Trifecta.

No rails, no drain tubes, no bullsh*t. It comes off in under a minute and goes back on in about 2 minutes. When it's off the truck, there's no trace that it was ever there. It's simple and it works.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:51 AM

Received 130 Likes on 90 Posts

My Extang Solid Fold hasn't let rain through yet. I can't say that about the BakFlip I owned. I think the "over-rail" design probably helps, but for the best protection you should think about those fiberglass ones that sit over the rails.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default +1 to the Extang Solid Fold

Originally Posted by sharper4
My Extang Solid Fold hasn't let rain through yet. I can't say that about the BakFlip I owned. I think the "over-rail" design probably helps, but for the best protection you should think about those fiberglass ones that sit over the rails.
I have and love the extang solid fold. It's more secure than a soft cover and is completely removed/installed in 5 minutes by one person, even in the winter! The only time I ever had water penetrate it was at a car wash around the small opening in the tailgate that the "man step" creates. I paid $700 for it.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:11 AM
Okie Coupe

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

You may be able to get by with one of the other brands but the only tonneau cover I've had that keeps the water out is an A.R.E. LSII. It cost right at $1,000.00 color matched. I've had one on 2 previous F150's. The only thing I didn't like about it is that it sits up higher and make it a little more difficult to see directly behind you.

The A.R.E. is the best built bed cover I've seen.

My '07 XLT Screw with an A.R.E. bed cover. The edges of the tonneau cover over-laps the sides of the bed.

Last edited by shortride; 08-10-2011 at 10:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Suggestions for waterproof bedcover