Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange smell

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 05:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Strange smell

I'm just curious if anybody else is experiencing the same thing. I've noticed that when I start my truck the past few weeks I'm getting an odor in the cab that's hard to describe. Sort of like burnt plastic or rubber? It's not that strong but noticeable. I thought I noticed it out back by the tailpipe too. I've tried different brands of gas. Same result. Could it be because I use the remote start? I let it idle too long? It does seem to disappear after driving a little bit but I don't know if it goes away or I just get used to it. Any input would really be helpful. This is the first new vehicle I've ever owned, plus, I'm a little OCD. I don't want to be an alarmist and I know I'm driving my wife nuts. I'm trying not to do the same to my dealers service dept.
Thanks in advance
Old 03-22-2014, 05:26 PM

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

You have heated seats?
Old 03-22-2014, 05:29 PM
LONE STAR

Received 629 Likes on 432 Posts

I had that smell when the truck was brand new. After a while, it went away and never returned
Old 03-22-2014, 05:35 PM

Yes. I have heated seats but I've had the truck exactly a year already. I'd have thought the "newness" smell would've gone away already. But that's definitely what it reminds me of now that you mentioned it! I thought seats possibly also but it's only been happening the last few weeks. I didn't notice it throughout the brutal winter we ve had in the northeast. Plus, today it got up to 65 degrees in NJ so when I remote started it(on 2 separate occasions) the heated seats didn't kick on. Still noticed the smell both times though.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:37 PM

Received 367 Likes on 305 Posts

i know for sure when mine was new the smell i got was from the exhaust pipes.. also had it undercoated so that may have been some of it...the heating of the pipes burnt off the coatings..
Old 03-23-2014, 09:00 AM
Goofball

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Check your exhaust system. Some years ago, my wife's Volvo apparently ran over a plastic bag that was blowing around and it burned on to the hot exhaust pipe. It smelled for quite a while after that.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:08 AM

Received 183 Likes on 150 Posts

^^ this ^^

Exactly what I was about to suggest. I ran into the same experience and, oh boy, how worried I was back then that something was going to seriously burn under the hood. My mechanic scrapped off the plastic that was attached to the exhaust right under the front seats area.
Good luck there!
Old 03-23-2014, 09:43 AM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

My truck had a simimilar smell just the other day, but there was snow on it I'm thinking it was just the snow evaporating as my truck warmed up. I've noticed it twice and both times we were snow covered. Ducky I also live in jersey and the weather has been sucking especially because I work in the cold. Anyway it's been crazy 60 something degrees yesterday to snow again on Tuesday, I'll see then if my truck produces the burning smell again.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Nalb1221
My truck had a simimilar smell just the other day, but there was snow on it I'm thinking it was just the snow evaporating as my truck warmed up. I've noticed it twice and both times we were snow covered. Ducky I also live in jersey and the weather has been sucking especially because I work in the cold. Anyway it's been crazy 60 something degrees yesterday to snow again on Tuesday, I'll see then if my truck produces the burning smell again.
I thought the same thing when the smell was coming from the exhaust. What concerns me is that it seems to be blowing into the cab.

I feel your pain about working in the cold. I'm a union carpenter in NYC and this winter has been brutal! What's worse is I just washed and waxed my truck a couple of weeks ago. Here comes the salt again all over my black truck!
Old 03-25-2014, 12:20 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by Nalb1221
My truck had a simimilar smell just the other day...
Originally Posted by ducky
I thought the same thing when the smell was coming from the exhaust. What concerns me is that it seems to be blowing into the cab...
Hi Nalb1221 and ducky,

Since you're concerned, your best bet will be to have your dealership perform an inspection. Be sure to circle back and let us know what you hear. I can also look into ways to assist; PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll check out some options.

Crystal

Quick Reply: Strange smell