Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange new noise when decellerating at low speed...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 12:33 AM
Retired and loving it!

Received 536 Likes on 398 Posts

Default Strange new noise when decellerating at low speed...

I noticed tonight that when I take my foot off the gas in town my 2012 EB is making a very soft (almost) moaning sound that can be felt in the structure of the truck. It almost sounds like a disc brake dragging when there is rust on the rotor (like after you wash the truck)...but very much lower in volume.....even hard to hear unless you are paying attention.
It stops if I put the trans in neutral while coasting. It occurs between about 30 and 15 mph while slowing down.......thoughts?
Old 12-12-2013, 10:42 AM

Received 669 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by sterlingone
I noticed tonight that when I take my foot off the gas in town my 2012 EB is making a very soft (almost) moaning sound that can be felt in the structure of the truck. It almost sounds like a disc brake dragging when there is rust on the rotor (like after you wash the truck)...but very much lower in volume.....even hard to hear unless you are paying attention.
It stops if I put the trans in neutral while coasting. It occurs between about 30 and 15 mph while slowing down.......thoughts?
Stop worrying so much?
Old 12-12-2013, 11:23 AM

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

You are not alone. My truck does this exact same thing when letting off the gas and coasting, only it is a very low frequency vibration/rumble at exaclty 40 mph then goes away at about 36mph, then happens again at 20mph, and then goes away at around 17mph. If i put the truck in neutral, no vibration. Even when the vibration is happening, I can click the shifter to neutral, and all vibration stops.

Just to be clear, this is a very very sublte vibration (at least in my truck), you hear it more than feel it, but you can feel it. And once it has been heard/felt, it cannot be undone. It is always there, and always annoying.

By clicking the trans in neutral, this is isolating the inner workings of the tranmission and the torque converter from the drive line. Meaning, the problem is more than likely inside the transmission/torque converter, and not in the driveshaft/rear end......

Edit:My truck is absolutely butter smooth in all other conditions. No shudder/vibration anywhere at any speed, even on hard acceleration. Also, I tried to apply the brake just enough to turn on the brake lights and possibly unlock the torque converter, but no change, the low frequency whatever it is is still there at the previously mentioned specific speeds when coasting......

Last edited by Killav-TT; 12-12-2013 at 11:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Adobe2X (12-12-2013)
Old 12-12-2013, 01:14 PM
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Killav-TT
You are not alone. My truck does this exact same thing when letting off the gas and coasting, only it is a very low frequency vibration/rumble at exaclty 40 mph then goes away at about 36mph, then happens again at 20mph, and then goes away at around 17mph. If i put the truck in neutral, no vibration. Even when the vibration is happening, I can click the shifter to neutral, and all vibration stops.

Just to be clear, this is a very very sublte vibration (at least in my truck), you hear it more than feel it, but you can feel it. And once it has been heard/felt, it cannot be undone. It is always there, and always annoying.

By clicking the trans in neutral, this is isolating the inner workings of the tranmission and the torque converter from the drive line. Meaning, the problem is more than likely inside the transmission/torque converter, and not in the driveshaft/rear end......

Edit:My truck is absolutely butter smooth in all other conditions. No shudder/vibration anywhere at any speed, even on hard acceleration. Also, I tried to apply the brake just enough to turn on the brake lights and possibly unlock the torque converter, but no change, the low frequency whatever it is is still there at the previously mentioned specific speeds when coasting......
Thank you for an interesting confirmation of what I am hearing! Have you taken it to a dealer for diagnosis? If you have, what did they say?
Old 12-12-2013, 04:43 PM
Five-0 Ret.

Received 674 Likes on 578 Posts

Keep in mind guys when you put the tranny in neutral the engine will drop to idle. Just food for thought in assessing the problem.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:43 PM
Retired and loving it!

I took the head mechanic from my Ford dealership for a ride today, and (THANK you, Lord!) --- the truck actually MADE the noise for him.
I have an appointment next Wednesday for them to look into it. He said that they'd have to put it on the rack and listen to various parts of the truck with a stethoscope to try and find where the noise is orginating.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:53 PM
Five-0 Ret.

Received 674 Likes on 578 Posts

Keep us updated Cap. One never knows when they will need the info. for their truck. Good luck, I hope it's something simple.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:53 PM

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

Yeah I think it may be the torque converter making that vibration. But definitely keep us updated.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:06 PM

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Thank you for an interesting confirmation of what I am hearing! Have you taken it to a dealer for diagnosis? If you have, what did they say?
Well yes and no. I did tell the dealer about it, but I was battling an acceleration vibration in second gear at the time, and a change in the pinion angle solved that. But the deceleration vibration didn't change. It was there before the driveline change too. The truck has been in the shop for 5 weeks out of six months of ownership by me. I just wanted to drive the thing.

I hope they can isolate something for you. Mine is so subtle, I just decided to live with it. It would be hard for the dealer to notice it especially if the road wasn't smooth. It just gets masked by road irregularities otherwise.

I can tell you that it did not vibrate when letting off the gas when it was brand new. That started a few thousand miles later.
Adobe2X (12-13-2013)
Old 12-13-2013, 10:14 AM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

...I have an appointment next Wednesday for them to look into it. He said that they'd have to put it on the rack and listen to various parts of the truck with a stethoscope to try and find where the noise is orginating.
Let me know what your dealership finds, sterlingone. If you need me to jump in and help, just reach out via PM and I'll research some options. Be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your PM.

Crystal
Adobe2X (12-13-2013)

Quick Reply: Strange new noise when decellerating at low speed...