Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering wheel surface wear?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel surface wear?

Just bought my 2010 XLT a month ago, with about 28K on it....this past week I've noticed that the finish on the steering wheel has already worn through the outer layer, at the 4 o'clock position (about 3 inches long), the 12 o'clock position on the front (it is textured so not as noticeable)and where your fingerprints would be on the back. Basically the smooth layer is gone and you can feel a difference in the surface as if you are touching the hard foam rubber underneath. It isn't glaringly obvious, but it is there.
I would understand if was an older vehicle - I ould just put on a steering wheel cover and not worry about it - but this a new vehicle IMHO, and even my previous two high-mileage F150s never showed this wear.
Thoughts?
Dee
Old 01-25-2012, 08:19 AM

Received 373 Likes on 227 Posts

Take it to a dealer. It might be replaced under warranty. I had a Ford leather covered steering wheel that started peeling some years ago. Asked the dealer for advice and he replaced it immediately.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:29 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Our clean hands are greasier and more caustic than we might think.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just Plastidip your steering wheel. That seems to be a hot process around here.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:25 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My 450kr wore and discolored the leather and the dealer replaced it under warranty. Funny thing is I think the one they put on was plastic dipped. It looked like the king ranch leather but was coated with something. It's not wearing now
Old 01-25-2012, 11:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DeeThbd
Just bought my 2010 XLT a month ago, with about 28K on it....this past week I've noticed that the finish on the steering wheel has already worn through the outer layer, at the 4 o'clock position (about 3 inches long), the 12 o'clock position on the front (it is textured so not as noticeable)and where your fingerprints would be on the back. Basically the smooth layer is gone and you can feel a difference in the surface as if you are touching the hard foam rubber underneath. It isn't glaringly obvious, but it is there.
I would understand if was an older vehicle - I ould just put on a steering wheel cover and not worry about it - but this a new vehicle IMHO, and even my previous two high-mileage F150s never showed this wear.
Thoughts?
Dee
The previous owner must have some sandy meat hooks, like my old man if you shook hands with him it felt like sand paper...

Quick Reply: Steering wheel surface wear?