Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering knuckle 2wd vs. 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 09:43 PM

Received 84 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Steering knuckle 2wd vs. 4wd

So I got this idea from Vanoford and awhile back but he has an earlier model f150 so I want to see about the possibilities on the 2009+ F150's. I've googled myself to death and can't find a straight answer ... I want to put a steering knuckle from a 2010 4wd on to my 2010 2wd. From my scanning of parts diagrams I see that either a regular hub or a heavy duty payload hub is used on the 2wd, and a different regular hub and the identical heavy duty payload hub is used on the 4wd. Here's some backwards logic-

If the same heavy duty payload hub fits both the 2wd and 4wd standard steering knuckle, then one could reason that despite the difference in the regular hub part # between 2wd and 4wd, the steering knuckle between 2wd and 4wd are compatible with the other associated components on the 2wd and 4wd drive trucks. I am not sure if I stated that right, but it in my mind it makes sense ... perhaps just wishful thinking

Before getting down to the hub I reviewed schematics and part #'s on the UCA, LCA, etc. down to every last bolt and everything appears the same, aside from the knuckle. If there is some other part difference I am missing please share. Ya'll think it will it work?

For the naysayers (i know ya'll are lying in wait) The knuckle will alleviate the stress on my UCA ball joint caused by my leveling of the truck with bilstein 5100's .... for about 10 minutes ... soon after installing the new knuckle I am thinking of putting a spacer in ... or swapping out my 2wd Bilstein 5100's for 4wd Bilstein 5100's. The end result would be a 2wd F150 that is the same height as a leveled 4wd F150. Alright naysayers, have at me, but hopefully I can get one useful post out of this from someone who has actually done a 2wd to 4wd knuckle swap on a 2009+ F150, naysayers be damned.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:27 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

1. I would assume that the UCA to LCA frame mounting point distance is different between the 2wd and 4wd trucks.
2. I believe the spindle is integral to the 2wd knuckle

The 09+ suspension is nearly identical to the 04-08, IIRC sway bar and tie rod mounting points are different. And, I think you'd see this as a common practice if it was a bolt on, any member with a 4wd that has installed a drop bracket lift kit should have their old knuckles if you want to try it out.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:46 PM

I'll check out a 4wd's uca and lca mounting points compared to a 2wd's before trying it. A thought though, If they are closer on a 2wd then this should give me even more room for a spacer without extending the UCA to the point it touches the coil. A spacer should correct the incorrect upward angle on the uca created from a 4wd knuckle install if the 2wd uca and lca mounting points are closer. I agree that it would be all over if it were bolt on, but I would think it would be somewhere, anywhere, that people have tried and failed as well, with the exact reason for the failure identified. I have not seen anywhere that someone has tried on a 2009+. Good idea to pick up a set of knuckles to give it a shot, anyone in SoCal got some knuckles sitting around for a little experiment?
Old 05-17-2011, 11:03 PM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

Subscribed!

If you are in fact able to complete this task you ought to do a write up and have it stickied!
Old 05-17-2011, 11:13 PM
ℳℴↁ℮ℜ@大☢®

Received 47 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm actually pretty sure they are the same. Take a look at the back of a 2wd knuckle; it's wide open, like there's a place for a CV shaft to go through if the truck were 4wd.

And as far as the spindle comment, these trucks don't have "spindles" per say, but rather a hub/bearing assembly that just bolts to the knuckle. Same on the 4wd, and the splined outer stub-shaft of the CV axle passes through the center of the bearing and then engages with outer hub. On 2wd models, it would just be a bearing with the free spinning hub.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:53 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
I'm actually pretty sure they are the same. Take a look at the back of a 2wd knuckle; it's wide open, like there's a place for a CV shaft to go through if the truck were 4wd.

And as far as the spindle comment, these trucks don't have "spindles" per say, but rather a hub/bearing assembly that just bolts to the knuckle. Same on the 4wd, and the splined outer stub-shaft of the CV axle passes through the center of the bearing and then engages with outer hub. On 2wd models, it would just be a bearing with the free spinning hub.
Hopefully your right, I tried to find a picture of the stock 2wd knuckle before I posted, but all I came up with was the Fabtech lift kit that had the spindle integrated with the knuckle. If the spindle has the same bolt pattern as the 4wd cv hub, there may be some promise with this. May be worth looking into whether or not the lift drop brackets for the 2wd and 4wd are the same, if so, the drop brackets + 4wd knuckles may be the key to getting the leveled 4wd crossmember clearance and ride height in a 2wd.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by GATORB8
Hopefully your right, I tried to find a picture of the stock 2wd knuckle before I posted, but all I came up with was the Fabtech lift kit that had the spindle integrated with the knuckle. If the spindle has the same bolt pattern as the 4wd cv hub, there may be some promise with this. May be worth looking into whether or not the lift drop brackets for the 2wd and 4wd are the same, if so, the drop brackets + 4wd knuckles may be the key to getting the leveled 4wd crossmember clearance and ride height in a 2wd.
Thanks for the info., I am going to see if I can post a wanted ad over in classifieds for a set of steering knuckles. I am also going to keep this thread alive in hopes someone has tried this on an 09+, I really don't want to disassemble the suspension to find it won't work.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:44 PM
ℳℴↁ℮ℜ@大☢®

Received 47 Likes on 11 Posts

I'll keep an eye out at work for a set too. I know we've got a couple newer F150's in the yard (I put a bumper away for one the other day :P . I work for LKQ ), but I don't know if they're 2wd or 4wd, I'd have to check.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:38 PM

cool, thanks. bump. Anyone tried a 4wd steering knuckle on a 2wd 2009+ F150?
Old 05-18-2011, 10:25 PM

bump

Quick Reply: Steering knuckle 2wd vs. 4wd