Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering 2009 f150 super crew

The steering is hard to turn to the left . It turns okay when parked but when driving thats a different story. Power steering fluid is okay checked that and I dont want to take it in rather work on it myself any ideas out there?

Last edited by Okanee69; 07-20-2019 at 07:11 PM.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:44 PM

Received 132 Likes on 82 Posts

You don't say what you are driving but many of our trucks have a design flaw. The steering shaft has two universal joints to allow steering wheel adjustment. On my truck (and probably all of them) those u-joints are out in the open and vulnerable to dirt and corrosion thus stiffening up. Pop your hood and look straight down on the driver side and you will see the upper joint, the one usually at fault.

To verify this is your problem, clean it with degreaser and soak-squirt almost any lubricant into it. I used Marvel Mystery Oil. If your steering is restored, that was your problem. Lubrication is only a temporary fix but you can put off replacing that upper shaft and u-joint for a while by keeping it lubed. Eventually you will have to replace it. I sourced mine from ebay but be careful as some of them are junk. Don't buy the cheapest.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:25 AM
TOTM 8/2019

Received 338 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by rocky raccoon
You don't say what you are driving but many of our trucks have a design flaw. The steering shaft has two universal joints to allow steering wheel adjustment. On my truck (and probably all of them) those u-joints are out in the open and vulnerable to dirt and corrosion thus stiffening up. Pop your hood and look straight down on the driver side and you will see the upper joint, the one usually at fault.

To verify this is your problem, clean it with degreaser and soak-squirt almost any lubricant into it. I used Marvel Mystery Oil. If your steering is restored, that was your problem. Lubrication is only a temporary fix but you can put off replacing that upper shaft and u-joint for a while by keeping it lubed. Eventually you will have to replace it. I sourced mine from ebay but be careful as some of them are junk. Don't buy the cheapest.
Exactly. I bought an OEM steering shaft off of EBAY about 3 years ago, still turns like it's brand new.....
Old 07-18-2019, 05:46 PM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Lightbulb

And ... Your vehicle is ?

HINT/TIP: Put your -COMPLETE- vehicle information (year, model, cab, trim, engine, wheelbase, _x4 drive, mileage, modifications, etc., etc.) in your signature -OR- provide it in your posting(s).

*Telepathic or Carnac we're not.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering 2009 f150 super crew

That's what year and make it is
Old 01-21-2020, 02:06 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Question... I just replaced my steering shaft, which is what these folks are suggesting. I have a 2013 Eco 3.5 FXR... I'm fearing the EPAS system but troubleshooting at this point. Did you find this shaft to be the problem or was something else the problem?
Old 01-26-2020, 07:43 AM

Received 237 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Hefe
Question... I just replaced my steering shaft, which is what these folks are suggesting. I have a 2013 Eco 3.5 FXR... I'm fearing the EPAS system but troubleshooting at this point. Did you find this shaft to be the problem or was something else the problem?
Sounds to me like you just went ahead & changed your steering shaft.....
I would question why you didn't trouble shoot your initial problem by soaking the lower joint (in particular) with a lubricate to test ???
If semi seized etc. it should/would've freed up for @ least a few days....& that would have told you it was the problem....
After removing old shaft did you check especially that lower joint.....was it stiff to turn & rotate....if it was , again this was your problem !!
Is your initial problem seem fixed right now ?? If it is.......likely you have replaced/fixed your problem !!
Plz post your final fix....so others may learn....THKS!!

Last edited by maco; 01-26-2020 at 07:46 AM. Reason: info added
Old 01-26-2020, 07:55 AM

Received 237 Likes on 211 Posts

Just added info regarding replacing the lower steering shafts with the cheaper replacement shafts !! (china)
I drive commercially approx. 100,000 km a year (60,000 miles) & bought the cheap e-bay china replacement shaft for approx. $50.00 Cdn.
It works just fine & is still performing on my old 2010 with 530,000 km on the clock @ the time of sale !! ... I sold this truck about 3 yrs ago & it still works!!
Old 01-26-2020, 09:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by maco
Sounds to me like you just went ahead & changed your steering shaft.....
I would question why you didn't trouble shoot your initial problem by soaking the lower joint (in particular) with a lubricate to test ???
If semi seized etc. it should/would've freed up for @ least a few days....& that would have told you it was the problem....
After removing old shaft did you check especially that lower joint.....was it stiff to turn & rotate....if it was , again this was your problem !!
Is your initial problem seem fixed right now ?? If it is.......likely you have replaced/fixed your problem !!
Plz post your final fix....so others may learn....THKS!!
yea I changed my steering shaft, it was $60 and I’m constantly out of town. I don’t have much time to fix the problems, but I also don’t have $2k for the problem, I had lubricated with WD40 but Didn’t get much change.

The vibration I feel is at the steering wheel, with a grind feeling a lot higher. All the symptoms of an EPAS failure seem to exist except for codes and the squeal.

am I crazy to purchase a new rack and just swap it out? I know this is the most expensive part but it seems to be consistent with this make/model. I’ve never heard of issues in the steering column itself.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:19 PM

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,725 Posts

WD40 is a cleaner, not a lubricant. Good first step, but then use a lubricant, too.

Quick Reply: Steering