Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting System Fault

Old 03-29-2012, 10:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Starting System Fault

I did a quick search and didn't find anything recent out there on the message I got today when trying to start my truck. I have a 2011 FX4 with Eco and when I was done filling up at the station I got back into the truck and when I tried to start it got a "Starting System Fault" message.

Of course I didn't see it until I started looking around trying to figure out why my truck wouldn't start. Didn't matter what I did as far as trying to get it started, I turned it off, took the key out for a bit, etc etc and couldn't get it to start.

As I walked away from it to start making some phone calls, it dawned on me to disconnect the battery for a bit and see if that helped. I'm not sure if it just needed time or disconnecting/reconnecting the battery did the trick but it started right up with no messages after I hooked the battery back up.

Now that I have tried doing a search, I find the recall that was for trucks made back in 2010 (2011 model year) but I'm nowhere near the date range of that recall. I also don't have any other keys, only the factory keys that came with the truck.

Anyone else seen this recently or have an idea what might have caused this? I'm not real excited about having this happen when I'm not somewhere real convienent...
Old 10-30-2012, 06:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by New F150 Guy
I did a quick search and didn't find anything recent out there on the message I got today when trying to start my truck. I have a 2011 FX4 with Eco and when I was done filling up at the station I got back into the truck and when I tried to start it got a "Starting System Fault" message.

Of course I didn't see it until I started looking around trying to figure out why my truck wouldn't start. Didn't matter what I did as far as trying to get it started, I turned it off, took the key out for a bit, etc etc and couldn't get it to start.

As I walked away from it to start making some phone calls, it dawned on me to disconnect the battery for a bit and see if that helped. I'm not sure if it just needed time or disconnecting/reconnecting the battery did the trick but it started right up with no messages after I hooked the battery back up.

Now that I have tried doing a search, I find the recall that was for trucks made back in 2010 (2011 model year) but I'm nowhere near the date range of that recall. I also don't have any other keys, only the factory keys that came with the truck.

Anyone else seen this recently or have an idea what might have caused this? I'm not real excited about having this happen when I'm not somewhere real convienent...
This just happened to me today when I went to leave work. I tried to start it three times and each time I got the full red LED screen saying Starting System Fault. The forth time it started.

Not sure what the issue is but this new $40K truck better not leave me stranded somewhere. I'm going to take it into the dealer Friday and see what they say.
The following users liked this post:
Charlie25 (07-24-2014)
Old 10-30-2012, 09:37 PM

I thought this problem was related to the push button start system I installed. It's happened to me a few times and I just shut the switch (button in my case) to off opened and closed the doors tried again and most times it started on the second try.

Anybody know what the recall was since my truck is a 2011.

I'm just concerned that as soon as I take the truck to the dealer the are going to point to my push button start/proximity sensor system.

Moe
Old 10-30-2012, 09:56 PM

I have a Viper 5902 Alarm/remote start system installed and I originally thought that was causing it but upon further checking it is only doing it when I start it with a key. If I remote start it, it starts fine with no start fault.

It has something to do with my key. After I installed the viper I took the truck over to my dealer and I bought a new key for it, one without the keyless buttons built in because with the viper remote, I don't need that big key. They cut and programed the new key to the truck and I've never had a problem until today....

I'll go see the dealer Friday and see what they think.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Starting System Fault