Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Start Up ticking noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 06:54 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Start Up ticking noise

So whenever I wake up in the morning and start my truck, a ticking noise lasts for about 3 seconds. It only happens on cold starts in the mornings or after a long period in time in which the truck hasn't been started. Anyone have any ideas on the solution? Ive been thinking its an issue with the starter, but my truck is going in to the shop for an oil change/rotation, so Im going to have them check it out too. Thanks!
Old 03-01-2016, 07:23 PM

Received 104 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Gr8White15
So whenever I wake up in the morning and start my truck, a ticking noise lasts for about 3 seconds. It only happens on cold starts in the mornings or after a long period in time in which the truck hasn't been started. Anyone have any ideas on the solution? Ive been thinking its an issue with the starter, but my truck is going in to the shop for an oil change/rotation, so Im going to have them check it out too. Thanks!
If it was a problem with the starter, why would it only do it in the morning? Wouldn't a starter issue still do it even after shutting the truck off after it's hot and restarting?

Usually cold start ticking is lifters being collapsed until they fill with oil. Or, I've also heard a clacking noise from the timing chain components on the ecoboosts until the tenssioner fills with oil, and tightens up the chain.

I am willing to bet the dealership will turn you away saying that it's normal, and depending on the ticking, that could be true.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:25 PM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

Is it more of a rattle?
Old 03-01-2016, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by MEZERR
If it was a problem with the starter, why would it only do it in the morning? Wouldn't a starter issue still do it even after shutting the truck off after it's hot and restarting?

Usually cold start ticking is lifters being collapsed until they fill with oil. Or, I've also heard a clacking noise from the timing chain components on the ecoboosts until the tenssioner fills with oil, and tightens up the chain.

I am willing to bet the dealership will turn you away saying that it's normal, and depending on the ticking, that could be true.
Thanks for the reply! Wasn't a for sure thing about the starter, not too knowledgable about the topic. The truck had just started doing it this past week, so we'll see what the auto shop has to say about it.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Tothemax
Is it more of a rattle?
yes, rattle and tick-ish i guess. It's almost like the truck has a slow start up, and when it does the rattle starts and lasts for about 3 seconds, then everything is normal.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:08 PM

Does it sound like this?

If so:

Old 03-01-2016, 08:10 PM

lol you nailed it. Thanks a lot, i really appreciate it!
Old 03-01-2016, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Gr8White15
lol you nailed it. Thanks a lot, i really appreciate it!
NP. My neighbour has this noise on his ecoboost as well. I hear it when he starts his truck in the am and I cringe.
Old 01-14-2022, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so that is exactly what I hear when I turn my truck on. It only has 31K miles on it but what I am hear from you is that its covered under warranty based off the emissions warranty correct?

Thx
JR
Old 01-14-2022, 11:25 PM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Lightbulb

jrhill4512...
Consider putting your complete vehicle information (year, model, cab, trim, engine, wheelbase, _x4 drive, mileage, maintenance, modifications, etc., etc.) in your signature to have it automagically included when you post. *Eliminates playing 20 questions when/if a post is made pertaining to your vehicle.
» Edit Signature «
*Don't forget to [ save ] it.

Quick Reply: Start Up ticking noise