Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squealing Brakes with at least 1/3 pad left

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 06:47 PM

Received 105 Likes on 61 Posts

Default Squealing Brakes with at least 1/3 pad left

My truck is a 2010 XLT SCrew.

Like the title says, I've been having this problem for close to a year now but it has finally started to become extremely annoying and I can't really take it anymore. The "squealing/screeching" noise mainly happens after I lightly press the brakes as I'm almost coming to a complete stop, after starting my truck from it being parked enough time for them to cool. It doesn't happen as I am beginning to press the brakes in, only towards the end of my stop if I am braking "softly." I can get it to not create the noise by braking later and harder, but for the obvious reasons, that is not really a solution and I can tell my brakes are wearing faster because of it.

I have had my dealership check a few times, one by a tech and one by a master tech. Both times I have been told that it is because of metallic particles coming from brake pad wear and it will not go away unless I buy new brakes. I also had this confirmed by a non-affiliated shop as well.

With that said, I have never seen a single post about this issue and was wondering if anyone else has had this problem? My brakes work fine but it has gotten progressively worse over the months, and I wanted to ask for any comments/suggestions before I spent $200 for new brake pads and the installation.

Thanks in advance for your time and let me know if I need to clarify anything.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:16 PM

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

My son has had this issue with his FX 45 Infiniti for over a year. He was told by the Infiniti people that it was part of having an FX 45. They wanted over $450 to replace pads and rotors. i told him I had success with Wagner ThermQuiet pads. We did a full replacement of all pads, front and back on his FX in April. About $140 for all pads and didn't turn the rotors. It has been quiet ever since. Don't put pad grease on them, just replace them. It worked for him and has been a great replacement pad on all my other vehicles. I'm just saying.......
Old 06-10-2013, 07:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had this issue with my 2010 Lariat. Very annoying squealing noise with light brake pressure. Replaced pads and rotors about 3 weeks ago due to excessive warping on the rotor and the pads were shot. Was happy to see the noise go away but as of 1 week ago the same damn squeal started again. What gives???
Old 06-10-2013, 07:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this problem non stop with my 08 silverado i had and now with my 2010 screw fx4. I was starting to think it was the way i was driving?? super annoying!
Old 06-10-2013, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this problem on my 2011. I had about 20000 km when it started doing it took it to the dealer they put on new front brakes. Now with 35000km when I back out the driveway the back squeals like crazy so it's going back again hopefully they replace those too.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:06 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

The noise most of the time comes from metal to metal contact. If you take your pads off and use brake grease where the back of the pad contacts the calipers it will most likely stop. I have never heard of someone suggesting to not use brake grease on the backs of the pads.

Why do you think you can buy $1 packets of brake pad grease at all of the auto parts stores? It's because it stops the squeeling. It's not coming from the pads contacting the rotor so it doesn't matter how far they've worn down or how much pad you have left.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used plenty of brake quiet on the back of the pads. Still squeeling. I'll try to catch a video of the squeal because I don't think its normal, especially on new brakes.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:32 AM

My son has had this issue with his FX 45 Infiniti for over a year. He was told by the Infiniti people that it was part of having an FX 45. They wanted over $450 to replace pads and rotors. i told him I had success with Wagner ThermQuiet pads. We did a full replacement of all pads, front and back on his FX in April. About $140 for all pads and didn't turn the rotors. It has been quiet ever since. Don't put pad grease on them, just replace them. It worked for him and has been a great replacement pad on all my other vehicles. I'm just saying.......
Thank you for your suggestion. I will take a look into those for sure.

Also, what kind of worries me about going with a new set of factory pads is just what some of you have said that the problem has come back over time.

I've thought about getting a different set of pads but I'd like to keep all service records under a dealer. Whether or not I can still have a dealer install aftermarket pads is beyond me but thank you all for your replies.

Anyone else who has an opinion and/or experienced this same input, please share!

Last edited by FlatBlack XD; 06-11-2013 at 04:41 AM.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:23 PM

Bump. Anyone else?
Old 06-11-2013, 02:40 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine did the same on my 2011 F150. The groove in the middle of the pads that usually dissipates heat and gasses were filled with worn pad material. Replaced them with Wagner Thermoquiets and all is good.

Quick Reply: Squealing Brakes with at least 1/3 pad left