Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spyder ccfl Hid upgrade anyone

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 10:08 PM
HHHMMM

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Spyder ccfl Hid upgrade anyone

I have a set of Spyder auto ccfl headlights in my 2012 fx4. The low beams on these are very poor. Does any one have a set of these that they done an upgrade to h1 hid bulbs for the low beams? What do I need to get it done? Will they handle the heat of a 55w hid bulb? I want better lighting.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:21 PM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by fishbones182
I have a set of Spyder auto ccfl headlights in my 2012 fx4. The low beams on these are very poor. Does any one have a set of these that they done an upgrade to h1 hid bulbs for the low beams? What do I need to get it done? Will they handle the heat of a 55w hid bulb? I want better lighting.
Hi.

Not safely - they will tend to melt if you do that (in addition to providing a poor beam pattern - the low beam are NOT HID-compatible projectors). Spyders use cheap internals.

Yer best bet - a TRS Retro-Kwik drop-in projector retrofit - they have a kit specifically for Spyder headlights.

You will then have the excellent performance of a true HID projector - while retaining the look of the Spyder assembly.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/com...l#.U2BdqKIXJc8

At least one member has done this recently: https://www.f150forum.com/f4/retrofi...ghlight=oksana

good luck
MGD

Last edited by MGD; 04-29-2014 at 10:23 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:17 PM
HHHMMM

Is there a brighter bulb option without having to drop that much cash to get better low beam light? Im open to all sugestions especially if it wont break the bank seeing how im waiting on my new zone lift to arrive lol.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:16 AM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by fishbones182
Is there a brighter bulb option without having to drop that much cash to get better low beam light? Im open to all sugestions especially if it wont break the bank seeing how im waiting on my new zone lift to arrive lol.
Hi.

Sadly, no. You'd need to stick to a halogen bulb to retain what pattern there is, and any equivalent wattage replacement will be about the same intensity (no free rides here despite the marketing BS).

If you attempt to run , say, a 75w or 100w halogen H1, you will risk melting the housing and also damage the wiring harness.

The only significant, effective and safe alternative that is worth doing with these is what I posted earlier.

There are many, many threads detailing the trial and tribulations of these poor-quality, poorly performing headlights. It's unfortunate that you had to learn the hard way.

Looks are great, but not at the expense of crippling yer ability to see at night, IMHO. If you want to retain those heads, I recommend that you start a fund to buy that kit from TRS.

good luck
MGD
The following users liked this post:
fishbones182 (04-30-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 09:45 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a HID set from HIDnation in mine with no problem with the lenses. I decided to switch back to the stock lights with XZE(sp?) bulbs because the Spyders were smoked and still not enough light more me.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:44 PM
HHHMMM

Originally Posted by MGD
Hi.

Sadly, no. You'd need to stick to a halogen bulb to retain what pattern there is, and any equivalent wattage replacement will be about the same intensity (no free rides here despite the marketing BS).

If you attempt to run , say, a 75w or 100w halogen H1, you will risk melting the housing and also damage the wiring harness.

The only significant, effective and safe alternative that is worth doing with these is what I posted earlier.

There are many, many threads detailing the trial and tribulations of these poor-quality, poorly performing headlights. It's unfortunate that you had to learn the hard way.

Looks are great, but not at the expense of crippling yer ability to see at night, IMHO. If you want to retain those heads, I recommend that you start a fund to buy that kit from TRS.

good luck
MGD
I bought them just after I got the truck. Ive known they have had poor light output but my night driving now has increased ten fold from 6 months ago. I may try a set of silver star bulbs or try a 35w hid set in them. I love the looks of them and that is why I bought them to begin with.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:46 PM
HHHMMM

Originally Posted by SFRLT626
I had a HID set from HIDnation in mine with no problem with the lenses. I decided to switch back to the stock lights with XZE(sp?) bulbs because the Spyders were smoked and still not enough light more me.
What wattage light were they?
Old 05-27-2014, 09:17 PM
HHHMMM

Well here is the update. I have been running a set of 35w HID 5000 color temp in my spyder ccfl lights for just over two weeks. So far all is good with zero issues from the blubs and the lens. Worst case I have to get new housings.

Quick Reply: Spyder ccfl Hid upgrade anyone