Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speaker Upgrade...Done.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 09:57 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Speaker Upgrade...Done.

I installed new Sony 5x7/6x8's into my 2010 SCREW yesterday and I gotta say that it was fairly easy! The door panels come off and back on really easily! The only issue i had was the left rear door handle nut clip fell out at some point and I had to improvise with a different clip that I had in the basement. I looked everywhere for the lost clip and it just disappeared. I even took off the bottom of the door insulation to search the inside of the door cavity. Nothing! But anyway, that was a minor issue...everything worked out for the best.

Now about the sound...there is a definite increase in sound quality and loudness but the bass response is just not there...the stock radio just does not have enough output to do the job. The bass just starts to flutter as you go up in volume...I still have to keep the EQ set at half point for it to sound good. I can go to half volume at this setting with little loss in sound quality. The stock speakers could not do that!

So for those hoping for a miracle by replacing just the stock speakers...it's not going to happen! But if you are like me and just want a little more from the stock system...go for it! You'll be happier with aftermarket speakers! If you want to rock the neighborhood, plan on adding amps and subs! The stock setup isn't going to jam like that.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:05 AM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Did the same thing with some Polk Audio speakers in all 4 doors, same results and for less than $150.00

Amazon.com: Polk Audio DB571 High Performance Car Speakers: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Polk Audio DB571 High Performance Car Speakers: Car Electronics

Definitely money well spent.

The following users liked this post:
Red13 (08-18-2013)
Old 08-18-2013, 10:15 AM
One Bad MoFoMoCo Owner

Received 394 Likes on 259 Posts

Did mine too yesterday with Kenwood Excelon speakers. Definite improvement over stock, but not enough base, for sure. That's largely due to the HU capping the bass at around half volume. After that, you are only increasing midrange and treble, which sounds awful. Of course the other limiting factor is that they are smaller speakers. That HU shuts down the bass to protect those small stock speakers because it wouldn't take much to blow one. After having an Infinity system stock in my Dodge (the only thing Dodge did right on that truck), I am pretty disappointed in Ford's stock system.

My biggest question after getting into the doors and seeing how much space is available, is why didn't Ford go with proper 6x9s?
Old 08-18-2013, 12:37 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I still have stock speakers but I installed an in line 4 channel alpine amp on the stock head unit and all I can say is wow! Next I'm going to match it up with alpine type r's 6x8 in all doors.
Attached Thumbnails Speaker Upgrade...Done.-image.jpg  
Old 08-18-2013, 12:42 PM

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Nayriles89
I still have stock speakers but I installed an in line 4 channel alpine amp on the stock head unit and all I can say is wow! Next I'm going to match it up with alpine type r's 6x8 in all doors.
Any info on how you did it or advice very interested
Old 08-18-2013, 01:10 PM
One Clean Machine

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,350 Posts

Originally Posted by Nayriles89
Yeah, that's the way to go... I just don't wanna do all that extra wiring! wanna wire up another one? ill take it if soo!
RES4CUE (08-18-2013)
Old 08-18-2013, 01:12 PM
Problem Solver

Received 358 Likes on 262 Posts

Buy the harness for it, match colors and butt connect.

Same as an aftermarket hu install only you keep the hu and this goes in.

May need an alternative power source.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:19 PM
One Bad MoFoMoCo Owner

Received 394 Likes on 259 Posts

When you switch or the head unit, you're getting alot more control, a much cleaner output signal, and typically, 50 watts per channel, so more power per channel too.

I've been shopping new head units this morning, and both Kenwood and Alpine have some awesome options that would be great choices. Trying to decide which to go with is the hard part!
RES4CUE (08-18-2013)
Old 08-18-2013, 01:49 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Speaker Recommendations

Thanks to a member on here, I'm getting the Advent Nav unit for the F150. Pretty excited about it.
Can you guys recommend speakers for it next?
My music is classic rock and country. Not into the Sub harmonic thing but I do test the bass on songs like AC/DC "Hells bells" and Billy Idols "White Wedding" loud as possible. I like the tighter thump than the shake that most have these days.
I don't have a sub or amp. Hope to get the the best I can with plug and play door speakers. Then an amp if needed. I do like to crank it up occasionally.
Thanks,
Lenny

Forgot to add. It specs as 180 watts peak power. 45w x 4.

Last edited by lennyzx11; 08-18-2013 at 01:58 PM. Reason: forgot specs
Old 08-18-2013, 01:52 PM

Received 705 Likes on 547 Posts

Anyone do the 4 channel amp on the 13 with 4 inch screen.

Quick Reply: Speaker Upgrade...Done.