Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speaker problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaker problems

Anyone have the issue where when you turn on your radio one of the speakers doesn't start playing sound? My driver side speaker doesn't play music until i turn it up a lot louder sometimes. Its really odd but since it starts working once the sound is louder then it leads me to believe it is not a wiring problem but maybe a head unit problem. It always works after monkeying with it for a bit.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:30 PM

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Maybe a loose connection to the speaker? You could pull out the speaker and swap it with another speaker that's working to check it or if it's under warranty have the dealer check it. Better yet just replace the crappy stock ones with something better. I had the stock stereo and just couldn't stand it anymore, so I swapped the head unit, doors speakers and threw in 4 channel amp. Even without a sub it thumps pretty good now.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:57 PM

Yea I have that same problem. My drivers side speaker cuts out some times and if I turn the volume up it works again. I called the dealer they just said I would have to bring it in.

Let me know what you come up with and I'll do the same.

These speakers seem to be ****y quality any way. I had the same model but an 04 and the speakers had much better sound.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:45 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes. Same problem, but it's my passenger side speaker. It seemed like when the weather got colder it would cut in/out more often, especially on cold mornings. Last week I had the oil changed and noted the problem to the dealer. They checked it out and said the speaker had to be replaced--under warranty. New speaker goes in Thursday. Hopefully this will solve the problem.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:48 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I had this exact problem with right front speaker only. It would occasionally go out after hitting a bump too. But, I have an aftermarket amp, and if I tapped on it, it would recreate the issue. Changed the amp and it went away....

Are you others with this problem using anything aftermarket, or do you have the sony system? Could be a faulty amp??
Old 12-07-2011, 01:42 PM

I just have stock 2011 XLT speakers. If all these speakers are faulty I dont see how putting in the same stock speaker will fix the problem, but we will see I guess.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:58 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Any updates to this problem? Now that it is getting cold again, I have a new speaker problem. Previously it was only the right front that would cut out on me, and it would come back by tapping my finger on the Alpine amp I use to Focal speakers. I changed the amp and it went away.

Now, random speakers cut out, until i turn up the volume louder. Tapping on the amp does nothing.

I hope it's not the speakers, and now it wouldn't make sense because it is randomly a left one or right one or rear or front...

The amp I have has nothing but good reviews, could it be possible I've ended up with two bad ones? I'd buy a new one to try before I'd ever take it back to where I bought it and had it installed.... nightmare.

So, I'm looking for ideas...
Old 12-28-2011, 09:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm following this too. Same issue. Took it in and they couldn't reproduce. Imagine that. I just hope it isn't the head unit. Could only imagine what one would cost. Almost out of warranty.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:52 AM

Well I brought mine to the dealer and they were unable to hear the problem. The service manager said he would replace the speaker anyway. The speaker has now been on order for two weeks.

Quick Reply: Speaker problems