Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

some exhaust questions X or H pipe

Old 02-25-2011, 10:21 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default some exhaust questions X or H pipe

got some questions guys ...searched alot of threads and seen alot of posts about the X pipe. does anyone have the H pipe on their truck? what does it do for the 4.6? and while i got ya on here...im goin to a muffler to get my work done .gonna put true duals ....so... 2.25 inch pipe or 2.5 inch pipe?which muffler is gonna give me the minimal highway noise/no drone,(gotta wife and kids that ride with me alot,), but when i push the gas i can hear the rumble,ive seen corsa ,magnaflow ,and flowmaster in some posts....but i want someone to answer that has this kind of muffler shop built system. i want it to sound good and not set any codes off in the process..of course if it helps the proformance that will be a plus.if u could, put the specs of your exhaust in your reply. item numbers tip sizes,etc..etc.. and thanks in advance..

Last edited by blue beast; 02-25-2011 at 10:23 AM.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:59 PM

Received 165 Likes on 69 Posts

1. An X or H does the same for every V8. It helps to equalize the scavenging between both banks of cylinders. Put the crossover in the current location of the stock Y for the best results. The farther back the cross, the less affect it has.

2. If the shop only has a smooth or crimp bender go with 2.5". If the shop (highly doubt) has a mandrel then either 2.25" or 2.5" can be used.

3. Borla and Corsa are the leaders in no drone. Magnaflows will have it slightly but nothing terrible. A lot of it depends on the length of the muffler. Volume and rumble varies person to person on "how much" they want. Go on Youtube and it will give you a ballpark idea of sound different mufflers sound like. Don't take them as gospel though because every system is different.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:04 PM
Master Electrician

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

i had mine done at the muffler shop with the x pipe. i had the shop mach up several different muffler to tune in the sound i wanted. the can put them on without welding so that you can hear them. imo, its the best way to do it.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:43 AM

thanks guys ...i doubt any of the shops will have a mandrel bending machine that i will go to ...so i guess ill find a shop that will test the sound for me like "carryyourbooks" stated....
Old 02-26-2011, 08:01 AM
2018 Lariat 4x4

Received 91 Likes on 70 Posts

No difference in function between X and H - cosmetics and fit.

Sound and materials are your big choices. I put stainless (including the mufflers and hangers) in my '67 Mustang.

It appears you have the sound worked out.

Rotsa Ruck!
Old 03-03-2011, 02:32 AM

anybody else can comment.. i would like ops. from all that have them or has went from one to the other.. did u see any diff in preformance?
we put a x on a mustang and it hit the rev limiter faster..then put the h on and seemed like it had more low end grunt...but that was a mustang whole diff setup on that motor
Old 03-06-2011, 07:27 PM

bump.....more replies please....
Old 03-06-2011, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blue beast
anybody else can comment.. i would like ops. from all that have them or has went from one to the other.. did u see any diff in preformance?
we put a x on a mustang and it hit the rev limiter faster..then put the h on and seemed like it had more low end grunt...but that was a mustang whole diff setup on that motor

H pipe design helps to balance back pressure and equals out both banks but becomes in effected above 3000 rpm think about the shape of a H vs X the velocity of the exhaust just bypasses the H , X pipe is a better design and will product more hp in higher rpm don't get exited it's minimal. Most prefer the sound of a H pipe.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

H pipe deep throaty muscle car sound

X pipe deep race car raspy sound
Old 03-07-2011, 08:45 AM

Received 165 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by EcoBoost
H pipe design helps to balance exhaust pulses and equals scavenging out both banks but becomes in effected above 3000 rpm think about the shape of a H vs X the velocity of the exhaust just bypasses the H , X pipe is a better design and will product more hp in higher rpm don't get exited it's minimal. Most prefer the sound of a H pipe.
There I fixed it for you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: some exhaust questions X or H pipe