Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solo Performance EcoBoost High Flow Downpipes

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 01:53 PM
2011 XLT XTR SCrew 4x4 EB

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Solo Performance EcoBoost High Flow Downpipes

I just got the green light from Solo to blab about the down pipe that I've been testing on my truck for them. Look for an official thread from them next week when they are ready to start shipping these (I think next week they can ship) as to pricing etc. I can tell you what I know for now.

They have designed two different assemblies for EcoBoost trucks. The first one is an "off road" design that starts off as 2.5" pipe for the first few inches and bumps right up to 3". Where the cats would normally be, they have included a pair of their angled Mach series resonators. In testing they found that with things opened right up, the sound level increase was a bit more than what they were happy with. They felt that anyone with a fairly loud cat back might be a little put off by this increase so, they incorporated the resonators to help control things and, smooth out the tone. All stainless as you would expect from Solo. Pipping is 409, resonators are polished 304.

The second assembly and, the one that has been on my truck for the last month, is a high flow cat version. As above it starts out at 2.5" for a very short section then goes to 3". Next is Solo's true 200 cell high flow cats. From what I've been told these sound like the best in the business. All stainless, and 6 litres of capacity per converter. This assembly incorporates a single strait Mach resonator after the merge point in the strait section before the flange at the cat back.

On both pipes they have greatly improve the merge point over the factory set up. Why Ford let these out the door that way is beyond me.

I'm trying to come up with a good way to describe how bad the factory cats are. The before and after feels like the difference between breathing normally or breathing through a straw. The guys in the shop at Solo say the stock cats are just about the worst they've seen. For them to say that after dealing with Pontiac G8's for so long....is shocking.

Everything about how the truck runs is better now, and the engine is noticeably "happier". I noticed it most in part throttle situations like pulling away from a stop. I'll admit that I drive like an old man most of the time, but even at very light throttle it feels like the truck just wants to go. It's very clear how chocked the engine was before. When giving it the boot it pulls great right up to when the factory tune starts to pull boost for the shift. When revving in neutral it's much more free. Jeff said the off road pipe is even better!

Sound level with the cated pipe is up just a little overall. At cruise I can't tell the difference. During acceleration maybe just a little louder. It is louder at wide open for sure. The note is even better now, with much more turbo whistle. I'm a turbo whistle junkie so, this is good for me. It's not at strait pipe 6.0 diesel level by far but, it's much more than previously. Now that things have a good coat of carbon on them it has a great snarl to it at heavy throttle.

I'll try to get some vids up. Be patient though. Lol.

I've seen a repeatable, consistent 2.0 mpg increase (British gallons). This is if I can keep my foot out of it. Which I managed to do for one week somehow.

I towed the family camper (6400 pounds) and it did great! Way better on the hills.

If anyone has any questions I can try to give you my experience on things if I haven't said so above. I'll try to post links to vids when I get them done but, I might just have to tell you to search YouTube.
The following 4 users liked this post by BoostedFitz:
57hippie (08-14-2012), ElGordoTejano (08-28-2012), prime8 (08-14-2012), Watt-maker (08-14-2012)
Old 08-14-2012, 01:57 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

cant wait to hear them in action. Thanks for the heads up! Might want to move this thread into the engine section.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:24 PM

Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts

Very cool! More power AND better fuel economy. What's not to like?
Old 08-14-2012, 03:10 PM

Received 117 Likes on 103 Posts

And how much does this cost?
Old 08-14-2012, 03:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you have this bolted to the stock catback muffler/pipe?
Old 08-14-2012, 04:11 PM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I can not wait to hear what these set ups sound like. I've been waiting for a full turbo back to decide what exhaust I want. But I'm extremely hesitant buying an exhaust for a v6.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:19 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TwinTurboFx4
+1 is there going to be a group buy
Old 08-14-2012, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by TwinTurboFx4
Sadly, I don't set pricing. I'm sure that will be in their release next week.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:32 PM

Double post.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by BREWSKY_3.5TT
Did you have this bolted to the stock catback muffler/pipe?
No, it's bolted up to my Solo dual cat back.

Quick Reply: Solo Performance EcoBoost High Flow Downpipes