Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So ticked off right now!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 08:19 PM

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Default So ticked off right now!

I have an 09 F150, first new truck I ever had! I had trouble with the third brake light leaking! After having it fixed twice I find it leaking again! I don't think it's the brake light this time! It's not wet around the center just on the right side! Anyone else have this trouble!
Old 04-29-2012, 08:35 PM

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Rabbit
I have an 09 F150, first new truck I ever had! I had trouble with the third brake light leaking! After having it fixed twice I find it leaking again! I don't think it's the brake light this time! It's not wet around the center just on the right side! Anyone else have this trouble!
I had the leak and took the truck back to the dealership to have it fixed. They told me they put in a new gasket. This was a few months ago and it seemed to work. Last month I pulled it off to install a smoked Recon third brake light and was surprised to see that all the dealer did was to apply some RTV sylicone to the original gasket. The Recon gasket is twice a thick as the OEM. I also added RTV myself. Liberal coating on the gasket and made sure the screw holes were full of the stuff.
It looks like all the dealships are doing is adding RTV and sending people on their ways. If I were you I'd pull it off myself and slop a good about of the stuff in there and see what happens.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Fishhawk460
I had the leak and took the truck back to the dealership to have it fixed. They told me they put in a new gasket. This was a few months ago and it seemed to work. Last month I pulled it off to install a smoked Recon third brake light and was surprised to see that all the dealer did was to apply some RTV sylicone to the original gasket. The Recon gasket is twice a thick as the OEM. I also added RTV myself. Liberal coating on the gasket and made sure the screw holes were full of the stuff.
It looks like all the dealships are doing is adding RTV and sending people on their ways. If I were you I'd pull it off myself and slop a good about of the stuff in there and see what happens.
I thought about that but it's still under factory warranty! Figure I'll let them try again! Maybe have them replace the carpet too since it smells like mildew!
Old 04-29-2012, 09:06 PM
WDE

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

why are you yelling?!
Old 04-29-2012, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is leaking again after the "fix" as well. I'll do it myself.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:17 PM

Received 404 Likes on 256 Posts

Do you let the RTV setup on the gasket before installing the light? If not, how do you get it off when you pull the light off to change the bulbs as it will leave a mess behind?
Old 04-29-2012, 10:20 PM

Received 749 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by Rabbit
You'd think an engineer would have corrected this problem by now. I know my '97 F-150 had a bad leak from the 3rd brake light but it was a lease and I turned it in like that. Hope you don't have a power rear slider window with the water leaking in.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where exactly are you guys seeing the water inside the cab? My dads 2009 f150 is showing water staining on the roof liner above both rear doors (screw) and has was appears to be dirt behind the lens of the third brake light. he's taking it in to the body shop this week to get looked at.

Also the metal grills that cover his speakers are all rusted.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by jadam8304
where exactly are you guys seeing the water inside the cab? My dads 2009 f150 is showing water staining on the roof liner above both rear doors (screw) and has was appears to be dirt behind the lens of the third brake light. he's taking it in to the body shop this week to get looked at.

Also the metal grills that cover his speakers are all rusted.
Mine is mainly on the passenger side in the corner next to the window!
Old 05-09-2012, 07:58 AM
Man of Steel

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want it done right you have to do it yourself. It's sad but true.

Quick Reply: So ticked off right now!