Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

so did i just get screwed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 01:24 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default so did i just get screwed?

so i took my truck in @ 34k miles for a window grinding pretty bad when rolling up and down. got it back and seemed to be good. well fast forward to 47k and the window is grinding again and sometimes I have to hit the switch twice to get it to roll up or down. took it in and the regulator is going out. asked well this was taken care of under warranty so the part should still be covered. they said "we didn't actually fix anything when it was brought in before we just cleaned the dirt out of the track and greased it. that seemed to solve the problem. but now your out of warranty..... ive given it over to my service manager to see what we can do." so basically it sounds like I'm goin to end up getting to pay for them to "look" at it and then wait for the window to stop working all together then pay to have someone else fix it. I guess my complaint is why the hell didn't they fix it before? why doesn't ford cover it? I mean I can stop the pain of a broken arm with morphine but it don't fix the broken arm. I guess I am just really pissed off about this because I don't have the money to just be throwing it away. if id known it wasn't gonna be covered I would have done something different. what do yall think?
Old 07-27-2015, 01:39 PM
Better OUT then IN

Received 253 Likes on 206 Posts

Yea, I'd fight that for sure.

Talk to one of the service folks here, they may be able to help you.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:40 PM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Received 1,746 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Sounds about right to me. Theres a process to the warranty work. When I worked for Ford in the body shop setting. And we would get a paint imperfection, we would always buff it first. That was recommended by Ford to do first. They won't pay to paint the panel, when buffing it out would take care of it. If buffing did not work, only then would we paint. If it did work, then later out of warranty, the imperfection blew up, customer was SOL. Sounds like the same in your situation.

They brought it in under warranty, and Ford probably recommended that they clean and grease the channel. That worked at the time, so would not pay to replace the regulator, or go any further.
The following users liked this post:
RLXXI (07-27-2015)
Old 07-27-2015, 01:49 PM

Received 613 Likes on 497 Posts

Also the first repair would have been documented on your bill, you should have noticed a part wasn't changed.

You could try to clean and lubricate it yourself
Old 07-27-2015, 02:00 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Should have bought an extended warranty, they fixed your problem and it lasted 17,000 miles by your own admission. It's a machine like any other man made product and it will break.

They might be able to back up the mileage but they can't turn back the clock, if your a valued customer, bought from them, have all your service performed by them etc... otherwise your SOL.
windmechanic (07-27-2015)
Old 07-27-2015, 02:14 PM

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

I don't think you were screwed. Not every repair warrants a part being replaced (ie. tire plug instead of replacement). The unfortunate thing is it wasn't permanent. If nothing else, I'm sure with an adult discussion they would be happy to regrease it for you.
Heel70 (07-27-2015)
Old 07-27-2015, 06:06 PM

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by FL5OVE
I don't think you were screwed. Not every repair warrants a part being replaced (ie. tire plug instead of replacement). The unfortunate thing is it wasn't permanent. If nothing else, I'm sure with an adult discussion they would be happy to regrease it for you.
Every company is in business to make a profit in some way or fashion. I work in a service industry, not vehicle related. So in my line of work when I have a service call & troubleshooting is required the very first thing that happens is start with the most common problem, & easiest to fix...you generally start easy and move up the chain until you find or do something that takes care of the issue. Kind of like your computer monitor with no signal, before assuming it's a dead monitor you at least check that it has power and a good signal before you replace it.

Seems like that what the dealership did with the dirt/debris in the window channel and it corrected the issue for more than quite a few thousand miles correct?

If any company replaced parts for any said problem without at least doing basic maintenance or troubleshooting first they would be in the red big time. I know to the o.p. your mad about the re-occurring issue, but I think the tech did what was correct for the first occurrence of the problem.

Quick Reply: so did i just get screwed?