Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slow shifting, power loss after level kit, 2012 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 11:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Slow shifting, power loss after level kit, 2012 5.0

So my power loss issue has gone on now for about a year. I have a 2012 screw 5.0 with a 2.5" level and 18" raceline rampage wheels w 295/70/18 trail graps. The problem started right after I added the above mods. Down shifting is delayed sometimes buy a full second and other times will not down shift! My response from the motor has taken a huge dump! My low end power feels like its suffered as well. This happen to anyone else? Any remedies without major mechanical changes? What causes this?
Thank you in advance!
Old 01-01-2015, 11:55 AM
none.

Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

You either unplugged something or broke a sensor. Crawl under the truck and double check every harness connection, then pop the hood and check EVERY harness connection.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let me guess. You're still running the stock tune.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:04 PM

I tacked it up to the heavy rims and large tires, gearing? Would a CAI help? My truck only has 13k on it and is routinely taken to ford for service. Wouldn't a broken sensor or harness show up during inspection? Thanks.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:08 PM
none.

Originally Posted by RJBeast
I tacked it up to the heavy rims and large tires, gearing? Would a CAI help? My truck only has 13k on it and is routinely taken to ford for service. Wouldn't a broken sensor or harness show up during inspection? Thanks.
No, a tune would help. But, dont do a major modification and expect someone to verify its condition. If you go in for an oil change, they are t going to look for something that isnt written up, they will change the oil.

Did the performance killing rims and tires have an effect, yes. Why would you drive around like that for a year?
Old 01-01-2015, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Cardinal Fan
Let me guess. You're still running the stock tune.
Yes sir, stock tune. Still under warranty for a while so I'm hesitant to tune it. If I decided to tune it wouldn't ford be able to tell? Are there ways around this? Would I also need new head gaskets and other beefier parts with a new tune or tuner due to more strain on the motor?
Old 01-01-2015, 12:14 PM
none.

Yes sir, stock tune. Still under warranty for a while so I'm hesitant to tune it. If I decided to tune it wouldn't ford be able to tell? Are there ways around this? Would I also need new head gaskets and other beefier parts with a new tune or tuner due to more strain on the motor?
You are doing more damage to your truck by lifting it and riving around for a year with a transmission that is hunting in gear than you do with a tune. Do you need "beefier parts"? No. Could the dealer tell? Yes. A properly written file will not cause any damage. But, why are you going in for service for something related to the tech plugging it into the service port? Any problems you will encounter with your truck will NOT be caused by a good reflash.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:25 PM

All that you need is a tune. Your truck will thank you for doing it.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:25 PM

So are you saying to take it in and someone can tune it. Or are you saying to buy a tuner? I know tuners are around 300-400. This is new to me is why ask? BTW my truck is not my daily driver it's 3 years old w 13k total miles on it. Haven't put a lot of strain on it yet only 4k last yr. But want to get this cleared up should I start driving it more.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:32 PM

So are you saying to take it in and someone can tune it. Or are you saying to buy a tuner? I know tuners are around 300-400. This is new to me is why ask? BTW my truck is not my daily driver it's 3 years old w 13k total miles on it. Haven't put a lot of strain on it yet only 4k last yr. But want to get this cleared up should I start driving it more.
Buy a tuner from 5 star or MPT. Research and make your own decision. Or hit up Franchi Motorsports on here.

Quick Reply: Slow shifting, power loss after level kit, 2012 5.0