Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sled Deck for snowmobiles or ATVs

Old 01-12-2011, 03:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sled Deck for snowmobiles or ATVs

Has anyone installed a snowmobile deck or ATV deck on their rig?

I like the set up below but I only have the 5.5' bed and concerned its not going to be enough.
Attached Images  

Last edited by 2010_FX4_Boston; 01-17-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:10 PM
Heh, 'member'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wont having the load way up high like that really screw with your handling and braking?

This seems like a massively stupid solution that most people fix by lowering the tailgate.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bluescrew
Wont having the load way up high like that really screw with your handling and braking?

This seems like a massively stupid solution that most people fix by lowering the tailgate.

but lowering the tail gate only makes space for one not two.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sled decks overhang about 6"-8" on each side (still not as far out as the mirrors typically).

Trailering sleds always have blowouts and issues during the season, plus drop fuel milage considerably. I would think hauling sleds on this deck would prevent one from driving like an animal so cornering would be as causious as trailering.

I just bought my first 5.5' bed and never thought of the issue that would arrise putting a sled in the back. The sled is 9.5' total length, so I am a little concerned with the over hang of 1.5'+.

Can anyone reassure me putting a sled of 9.5' with the tailgate down will be ok as it will be properly strapped down in the front and back?
Old 01-12-2011, 04:38 PM

This just looks risky. That is a ton of weight (1400lbs easy) really high in your truck. Plus its all over the back, and last time i checked the rear of a truck doesn't have a sway bar so your going to lean all over the place on turns. A trailer isn't that expensive. And it is the safest way. As for fuel milage, look how high the sleds are above the cab. Thats a crap ton of drag added.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:45 PM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

Actually it's not a ton of weight, a ton is 2000lbs! lol

I would put it in the back with the tailgate down. Properly strapped down I dont think it would cause issue. I assume that most of the weight of the sled would be in the truck and the tack isnt the heaviest part.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving Like an Animal?

Originally Posted by 2010_FX4_Boston
Sled decks overhang about 6"-8" on each side (still not as far out as the mirrors typically).

Trailering sleds always have blowouts and issues during the season, plus drop fuel milage considerably. I would think hauling sleds on this deck would prevent one from driving like an animal so cornering would be as causious as trailering.

I just bought my first 5.5' bed and never thought of the issue that would arrise putting a sled in the back. The sled is 9.5' total length, so I am a little concerned with the over hang of 1.5'+.

Can anyone reassure me putting a sled of 9.5' with the tailgate down will be ok as it will be properly strapped down in the front and back?
I don't get it; you want to still drive like an animal while transporting 2 sleds?
Trailering is still far safer; I trailered for a few years and feels that unless you totally ignore your trailers maintenance, blowouts are pretty rare. Now you are considering putting 2 sleds up on top of your box; 1000 to 1300lbs sitting way up there; these trucks handle well, but putting that much weight up high will have detrimental effects on your handling. The weight is both very high and above and behind the rear axle. These Fords sit very high as it is, you will get nosebleeds loading and unloading. It looks like a cool idea, but practically; can't see it being any better than a trailer.
The one guy I met that had one, only used it for a year; he was trailering and using it at the same time 4 atvs or 4 sleds on his GMC 2500, said he was getting rid of it, going to get a 4 place trailer. His biggest complaint was unloading, very steep and high for backing sleds or atvs off.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:51 PM
Aerospace Engineer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I say if you just have one, stick it in the bed and make sure the heaviest part is as close as possible over the rear axle.

Any more then that, get a trailer. I don't like the idea of the tailgate and bedsides holding the weight of the sled. Not to mention the possibility of exceeding the payload rating of the truck or the safety issues lugging a sled that high in the air. Then there's the wonky balance and braking.

Get a good twin axle utility flatbed trailer and haul 4 sleds, or a car/truck, or whatever safely and securely.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:02 PM

X2 Get a double axle trailer. You wont get any fishtailing over freeway bumps or dips
Old 01-12-2011, 05:23 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If you want it get it. Not like you will be doing rally racing with them up there so handling ist really a big issue. There are even guys here with lifted 250/350's that have them and have never seen a problem with these sled decks

Last edited by faster_than_u; 01-12-2011 at 05:26 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sled Deck for snowmobiles or ATVs