Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sirius radio module interferes with the remote starter. Seriously.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 08:27 PM
Just Another Member

Received 187 Likes on 127 Posts

Default Sirius radio module interferes with the remote starter. Seriously.

Long post.

When I ordered my F-150 back in May, I ordered a remoter starter with it, but the dealer installed it after the vehicle was delivered in August. They put in the BC3Z-19G364-A RPO Plug-in-Play starter and all seemed well.

During August, the dealer also installed a Sirius satellite radio. The radio they installed was a United Radio from Ford. This is the factory Sirius radio. The radio module # is 8S4T-18C953-A, the radio engineering # is BL3T-19C107-BA, the service # is BL3Z-18C869-AC. I don't know the difference between all the numbers - they are just what the dealer gave me.

Again, all seemed well until it started to get cold in October and then I learned that the range on my remote starter was really horrible. I had to be within 20 feet or less and even then it would sometimes not work. The functional range actually seemed to get worse the colder it got, but I may have been imagining that. Nevertheless, a few weeks ago it was well below zero (-10F) and the remote starter didn’t work when I was standing right next to the driver’s door, but when I walked around to the passenger door, it did, barely. Like I said, the range was really bad. At the same time, I had been noticing that the range on the lock/unlock and panic button were pretty bad too. So I changed the key fob batteries, but that didn’t help.

I finally brought it in to the dealer and it turns out that Ford has a pinpoint test for poor range on remote starters. So they did step one and replace the antenna module which is up under and in front of the glove box. No luck. Step two called for replacing the remote starter antenna wire and they didn’t have one so they had to order that. It finally came in and they replaced it. Again, no luck. Step three would have been replacing the TPMS module which the remote starter plugs into.

But then, for reasons I am unclear about, they disconnected the satellite radio and the remote starter suddenly worked like a charm! They plugged the sat antenna back in and the remote started didn’t work. Unplug plug it and the RS works.

The Sirius radio module was the culprit it appears. They moved the module’s location to another location underneath the dashboard away from the TPMS module and the remote range dramatically improved. Sirius is still working normally as well too. When the Sirius module was near the TPMS module, the key fob distance and remote starter distance was horrible. As soon as they disconnected the Sirius module, the signal strength improved. The then plugged it back it, only mounted it farther away from the TPMS and all worked well. Problem solved. Sirius works as well as ever and the remote starter also works like it is supposed to.

All under warranty and Ford learned something new (or unexpected) about electronic interference in the process. However, I still fail to understand how a radio module that has no power to it (truck is off) can interfere with another radio signal (key fob and remote starter).

Oh, and they picked up and dropped off the truck during all this and gave it a wash too. Great dealer!
Old 02-07-2012, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having trouble remote starting my truck a couple of times. Its a factory installed remote start. Phoned my dealer and he said that I should disconnect my negitive battery cable for 30 minutes and re connect the cable. Haven't tried this yet was wondring if anyone else was having this trouble.

I have a 2012 Ecoboost Screw 4x4.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:43 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by John Thiessen
I'm having trouble remote starting my truck a couple of times. Its a factory installed remote start. Phoned my dealer and he said that I should disconnect my negitive battery cable for 30 minutes and re connect the cable. Haven't tried this yet was wondring if anyone else was having this trouble.

I have a 2012 Ecoboost Screw 4x4.
You don't say what your trouble is, so it's hard to say if I'm having it. My trouble is that the range on the factory installed system is TERRIBLE! Really really bad...
Old 02-09-2012, 03:16 PM
Just Another Member

Received 187 Likes on 127 Posts

That was the problem I was having, as I mentioned in my OP. It was ridiculous. Now fixed.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The remote for unlocking and locking my doors works but sometimes the remote starter fails in starting the truck. The lights blink twice and then nothing, no matter how many times i try it and I have to start it manually. Then the next time it might work or not work.

Quick Reply: Sirius radio module interferes with the remote starter. Seriously.