Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shopping for new exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 02:16 AM

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Shopping for new exhaust

Hey guys,

I am in the market for a new exhaust (not the full system, just muffler & tailpipe). I have done some research and I was leaning towards the borla but the guy at the local muffler shop said that they don't work well with our trucks as far as sizes, welding and such and he suggested a magnaflow instead. I also asked him about splitting the tailpipes for the dual exhaust look but was told there is to much stuff in the way (spare tire, wires, sensors and tubes) to be able to do it. In the end he quoted me around $600 for labor and materials for the magnaflow, tip and pipes.

My questions are: 1. Anyone have issues with welding the borla on and things lining up or is this because he makes more on magnaflow? 2. I am sure there are people in here that have dual exhaust, was it an issue running it over to the driver rear side as well? 3. Is $600 in the range for this workorder or should I keep shopping? There are not really a whole lot of exhaust shops around except for places like midas or abra which I don't really trust.

My truck is a 2012 F150 stx for what its worth.

As always, I appreciate your guys' help and expertise!
Old 11-29-2014, 03:45 AM

Received 202 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by The Machine
Hey guys,

I am in the market for a new exhaust (not the full system, just muffler & tailpipe). I have done some research and I was leaning towards the borla but the guy at the local muffler shop said that they don't work well with our trucks as far as sizes, welding and such and he suggested a magnaflow instead. I also asked him about splitting the tailpipes for the dual exhaust look but was told there is to much stuff in the way (spare tire, wires, sensors and tubes) to be able to do it. In the end he quoted me around $600 for labor and materials for the magnaflow, tip and pipes.

My questions are: 1. Anyone have issues with welding the borla on and things lining up or is this because he makes more on magnaflow? 2. I am sure there are people in here that have dual exhaust, was it an issue running it over to the driver rear side as well? 3. Is $600 in the range for this workorder or should I keep shopping? There are not really a whole lot of exhaust shops around except for places like midas or abra which I don't really trust.

My truck is a 2012 F150 stx for what its worth.

As always, I appreciate your guys' help and expertise!
Solo Performance MR400 with the MR400 Resonator. Stage 3 has their sale right now. 593 out the door!

It will be my next exhaust when the funds allow.
Old 11-29-2014, 04:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I got a true duel settup with twin flow masters last year on my 2010. Plenty of room underneath the truck and the local family owned shop charged me $500 for everything.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:09 AM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Just a muffler and tip should be at the most half that price
Old 11-29-2014, 08:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It is a slightly tight fit on the driver side depending how you decide to have it routed. For my setup I went with a SIDO flowmaster super 40 and the only thing that had to be jimmy rigged, if you consider it, was a wire or two for the sensors in the axle had to be zip tied together so they wouldn't rub on the tubing. Granted I also have mine tucked up so they are barely noticeable from bumper height or higher. If I had a picture or if my truck wasn't currently halfway across the world I'd post it.

And as far as $600 that's crazy for a muffler and some tubing. The shop I went to did the muffler trimmed two tips all the welding and custom bending for Just over $300 and when i go back to get the resonator removed it'll be $50 for labor and stainless steel tubing. I'd say shop around some more or just get a full cat-back on sale from somewhere.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:55 AM

Received 209 Likes on 166 Posts

Ya, $600 is just crazy. And is he using stainless or aluminized metal. I just went with the Solo Performance Mach-X system. Solo has it on sale as does Stage 3 for $634 shipped to your door. The nice thing is it is basically a plug and play unit. Unbolt the factory stuff at the cat and bolt in the new exhaust. No welding or jerry-rigging anything. If you can turn a wrench, you can install this yourself. Plus this system has dual pipes exiting on both sides behind the back tires.

Go to Stage 3 Motorsports website. They have a ton of videos on the different sounds. Great tool for doing your research. They also have an installation video which shows just how easy it is. These systems are custom made for our trucks, not thrown together at a shop. At a later date if you want to, you can reinstall your factory exhaust.

Mine is supposed to be delivered today and it will be going on today. Can't wait. Only problem is my buddy's shop with a lift is closed today so I will be doing this on my back. Oh well.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:22 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Solo Mach x duals!!! You won't find a better sounding exhaust, nor will you find a better fit and finish. Also they are competitively priced compared to the rest of the stainless kits on the market
The following users liked this post:
funmoneypit150 (11-29-2014)
Old 11-29-2014, 09:53 AM

Received 398 Likes on 344 Posts

the solo kits do sound pretty good, i may try that kit when i get tired of mine.I don't see any problem running duel exhaust. have a duel out magnaflow kit on mine and have done 2 other magnaflow kits on other f-150's at my shop.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:24 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

$600.00 !! Are you #$%^& me ! Robbery in progress !!
I had my resonator and muffler both taken off, resonator replaced with glass pack and muffler replaced with flowmaster 40 series. Exhaust sounds great. Entire job $ 175.00
I did not get the duel exhaust set up but was told I could have for extra $50. Damn dude - run run run !
Old 11-29-2014, 11:28 AM

Received 209 Likes on 166 Posts

Well here is what was waiting for me when I got home from running some errands!!

Quick Reply: Shopping for new exhaust