Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Severe case of modititis….need cure (opinions)

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 12:41 PM

Received 281 Likes on 180 Posts

Default Severe case of modititis….need cure (opinions)

Okay, it’s been at least 8 months since I bought my current 2013, and 6 months since my last mod, and now I am itching all over to do something else. I have bought 4 brand new trucks during the past 36 months ranging from a two-tone FX4 to an Offroad XLT to a loaded Platinum to my current loaded FX4, so I am thinking that buying another same gen F150 is not going to cure my disease (I would consider a Raptor but my wife doesn’t like them….go figure). Therefore, I decided it’s time to mod again.

Here is my current FX4. I absolutely love this truck. I have not been worried about mileage and so driving it the way I like to drive, which means I am having fun with the EcoBoost (although my recent weekend trip into the mountains of southern CO still netted me up to 17.1 mpg so not bad). Coming directly out of my previous 5.0L Plat, the Eco really is a different experience. Yes, I miss the V8 sound, but love the sound of the twin-turbos spooling up and the resulting power surge is very addicting. And I really like the new look of the FX4s with the dark HIDs (especially in the Sterling Grey and Black colors), and the fact that my loaded FX4 is almost as hard loaded as my previous Plat right down to the backup camera, Sony stereo system, moonroof, and cooled seats (I do miss the power tilt/telescoping steering wheel though) but with better gearing (3.73 vs. 3.55).

But it looks boring to me now. I added 33-inch Duratracs and a 2-inch Zone lift, my trademark lightbar/PIAA setup, and Truxedo tonneau cover, but it still doesn’t have the stance or attitude I really like. It looks great at certain angles (like above), but most other angles it looks….dare say, just normal? I also decided, maybe because of the color, that I would not be happy changing out the stock wheels because 1) with the aftermarket wheels that I do like, I feel they look better on lifted trucks, and 2) I much prefer the look of the FX4 wheels on the non-lifted trucks.

So my only solution is to LIFT my FX4.

However, before folks start telling me to go 6-inches or higher because “I won’t be happy with anything less”, please refrain from telling me that as the maximum I want to go is 4-inches. Here are my reasons: 1) I am going to add my Snugtop XTR topper (PTM) and it has a roof rack, so a 4-inch lift with 35-inch max. tires will be dicey at best in trying to fit into my 7-ft. garage (6-inch definitely won’t fit with my planned setup), 2) I really, really like the look of the 4-inch systems with 34-35 inch tall tires as that really seems like the perfect balance to me without getting too top heavy whereas 6-inch lifts look much better with 36-37 inch tall tires, but that’s just me, and 3) the 4-inch systems still keep the truck fairly accessible for passengers and cargo alike, and I am getting older, not younger…lol.

So here is where I can use some constructive input; I am thinking of setting up my FX4 much like my last Platinum except I want to go with the Rancho 4-inch system with the adjustable 9000 series Rancho shocks (had a couple before and loved the Rancho systems), add my paint-to-match Topper, and probably remove my sidesteps and add AMP Research Power Steps. So it would look similar to my previous setup (see below) except you have to imagine it all Sterling Grey with no chrome:

So….do I do it?

I am also stressing over the wheel setup. I can keep my factory 20-inch FX wheels and fit some 34.5 inch tall Nittos since the Rancho system allows for that, or I can go aftermarket. I really wanted to go Fuels or BMF but seems like everyone is running those nowadays, and black wheels are overplayed in general but I don’t think chrome will look as good with the dark trim, dark headlights, and no chrome anywhere on the truck. I can’t seem to find a clean black/machined design that isn’t gaudy or protruding plastic bits everywhere. If I do lift, I don’t think the factory wheels will look/perform as good without spacers and that is not an option for me, so I’ll have to go with aftermarket wheels.

Finally, the wheel offset comes into play; do I go with the look of my previous FX4 (below) with very negative offset wheels, or keep it tighter with more positive wheels like my Plat (below)?

My 2009 FX4 with Rancho 4-inch system and 35-inch BFGs on -12mm wheels:

My 2011 Platinum with Fabtech 4-inch system and 34.5-inch Nittos on +18mm wheels:

Keep in mind I use my truck as a daily driver for professional and personal use, and I am not 20-30 years old anymore (dang it), but which looks better? Thanks to all my friends here for your opinions!

Last edited by Desert Dawg; 07-26-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:24 PM

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Good god, man. What the hell do you do with 3 $40k+ trucks? The truck looks normal? I think it looks pretty badass.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:43 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

-image-2040677774.jpg. Light bar and lights look familiar?
Old 07-26-2013, 01:48 PM
Beer Gut Extraordinaire

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,317 Posts

I want to do that lightbar setup. Looks so old-school yet tough at the same time.

I think your FX4 would look badass as it sits, but a lift would look even better. I'd personally go with the same wheel you had on your old FX4, but maybe a Fuel Maverick style. This is a predicament indeed..
Old 07-26-2013, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by TheTallest
Good god, man. What the hell do you do with 3 $40k+ trucks? The truck looks normal? I think it looks pretty badass.
Well, I only had two at a time at most but now just one.

Thanks....still, really have the itch to make it look more aggressive.

Originally Posted by Blue Bomber
Attachment 242657. Light bar and lights look familiar?

Why yes it does!

Originally Posted by HardcoreFXFour
I want to do that lightbar setup. Looks so old-school yet tough at the same time.

I think your FX4 would look badass as it sits, but a lift would look even better. I'd personally go with the same wheel you had on your old FX4, but maybe a Fuel Maverick style. This is a predicament indeed..
Thanks Hardcore...was hoping you'd chime in. Yeah, I keep looking at the black machined Fuel Mavericks as they do look clean but not sold on them quite yet. However, I do think the Mavericks are less common then the usual Fuel suspects (i.e., Hostage and Throttle). These look good in the high negative or 10-inch wide wheels but not sold on the more positive offsets.

I keep coming back to the Fuel Boosts as in the pic below as that is closer to how my setup will look (sans topper). The Boosts have a clean modern-retro look to them and fit the "offroad" theme as well. The problem I have is while I think they look fantastic in the high negative offset or 10-inch width as shown below, I don't want a 10-inch wide rim and they loose their appeal to me in the positive offset ranges as they begin to look too flat (if that makes any sense)?

Another option I like are the BMF S.O.T.A wheels in Death Metal but really not sure they are worth the premium price.

Last edited by Desert Dawg; 07-26-2013 at 02:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ecoboost man (09-02-2013)
Old 07-26-2013, 02:45 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I would leave it alone, add some horsepower, or a bad *** stereo. no need to make another mall crawler set up.
The following users liked this post:
rdkev (09-03-2013)
Old 07-26-2013, 02:46 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Not that this really helps you, but my vote is keep doing what you have been doing. Each and every one of your trucks look awesome and very tastefully done each time. You understand how to put together combinations that look good together without over-doing it. So my vote is do whatever your "gut" says to do.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:48 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

or if you can swing it, do some custom fiberglass pre runner style fenders, make your own raptor type truck.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Matt6951
I would leave it alone, add some horsepower, or a bad *** stereo. no need to make another mall crawler set up.
I get what you're saying there Matt, but maybe you haven't seen my many other posts and photos; I actually get out and use my truck due to living in the wide open high desert and mountains. So having the stance I am looking for is actually functional for me as well. I get that all the time with my trucks as most think they are too clean or too nice to use except for strutting around the mall. But hey, I took my +$60K Range Rover out four wheeling too which shocked the jeepers when I showed up....lol.

Originally Posted by Matt6951
or if you can swing it, do some custom fiberglass pre runner style fenders, make your own raptor type truck.
Yeah, I can swing it but really don't like the pre-runner style as much in my daily driver. If my wife could appreciate it, I would just get the Raptor for sure but she doesn't like the look.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by 09stx
Not that this really helps you, but my vote is keep doing what you have been doing. Each and every one of your trucks look awesome and very tastefully done each time. You understand how to put together combinations that look good together without over-doing it. So my vote is do whatever your "gut" says to do.
Thanks 09stx; yeah, I will settle on something but having "google and forum search" overload and thought I would get some good input here to help clear out all the ideas running around in my head....lol.

Quick Reply: Severe case of modititis….need cure (opinions)