Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Security question - universal garage door opener

Old 11-03-2013, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security question - universal garage door opener

Hi folks, I understand the garage door opener feature will work so long as there's power in the battery - that is, someone can break into the truck and open my garage door without having to turn the key or anything else.

Is anyone aware of a reasonable security upgrade to set the opener to work only when the ignition is on? I'd love to use this feature but I won't risk leaving all the thugs with access to my garage.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:17 PM

Received 156 Likes on 113 Posts

Curious myself as I always felt the opener builtin or left in a vehicle has a security risk.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:05 PM

Received 479 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by RDFTS
Curious myself as I always felt the opener builtin or left in a vehicle has a security risk.
I have a remote garage door opener which is no more secure then the built in one that Ford offers. Break into my vechile press the button and you're in my garage. I'm not sure there is anything you can do beyond not using this luxury.
The following users liked this post:
Toddman38 (11-03-2013)
Old 11-03-2013, 01:12 PM
FNG

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Azuri
I have a remote garage door opener which is no more secure then the built in one that Ford offers. Break into my vehicle press the button and you're in my garage. I'm not sure there is anything you can do beyond not using this luxury.
Maybe I'm just paranoid, but when I park my truck outside my garage, I take my garage remote out with me. That's not an option with the built-in one.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:20 PM
One Clean Machine

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,350 Posts

Originally Posted by zchannel1
Maybe I'm just paranoid, but when I park my truck outside my garage, I take my garage remote out with me. That's not an option with the built-in one.
This would a Huge PITA, but you could pull the fuse that powers the built in one....

My Vote says your Waaay too Paranoid, thus I'm happy my truck fits just fine in my garage!
The following users liked this post:
zchannel1 (11-03-2013)
Old 11-03-2013, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by zchannel1
Kind off topic but I wonder how many people who don't have a garage opener diligently lock their garage door? Just a matter of walking up to said garage door from the outside open it up and bam you're in. I think a locked vehicle with a remote in it is less of a target then an unlocked garage door. Most thieves will use the path of less resistance.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:45 PM
One Clean Machine

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,350 Posts

Originally Posted by Azuri
Kind off topic but I wonder how many people who don't have a garage opener diligently lock their garage door? Just a matter of walking up to said garage door from the outside open it up and bam you're in. I think a locked vehicle with a remote in it is less of a target then an unlocked garage door. Most thieves will use the path of less resistance.
I have a lock on the inside of my garage door(but also have garage door opener), at nite before bed I or my wife lock it!

Most newer garage door openers as of the last 10 yrs like mine, have a Lockout feature that you push a button on the Inside controll pad that Will Not Allow any remotes or Keypads to open the Opener!!! Also when going on vacation it's locked, a little extra Security Feature! I live in a pretty safe neighborhood, but like anything its a nice piece of mind! Okay, back on Topic....

Last edited by Toddman38; 11-03-2013 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:50 PM

Received 168 Likes on 156 Posts

If I didn't park my truck in the garage, I wouldn't have programmed the opener since I have a key for the front door.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Toddman34
I have a lock on the inside of my garage door, at nite before bed I or my wife lock it! Also when going on vacation it's locked, a little extra Security Feature! I live in a pretty safe neighborhood, but like anything its a nice piece of kind! Okay, back on Topic....
Same deal for me. Some people keep tools and lots of valuable stuff in their garage so since entry to your house is covered all the valuables in the garage are up for grabs for anyone who doesn't diligently lock the garage door (not the door that leads into the house) I think garage door openers are a good deterrent as long as you keep your vehicle locked up with the remote. As a thief looking for some new tools or whatever I'll go the neighbours where I can swing or lift that garage door open with zero resistance.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This actually happened to a friend of mine - Nissan, for what it's worth, has the same issue, they busted open his truck, opened the garage door and made off with his goodies in the dark of night. Didn't clean him out but got golf clubs, some tools, etc.

I'm taking my remote in with me BUT the locking the opener option is also a good one! Still - why keep this circuit hot?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Security question - universal garage door opener