Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

secret compartment circuit/relay troubleshooting help please!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 10:45 PM

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Default secret compartment circuit/relay troubleshooting help please!

Hey guys,

I'm back again for another lesson in wiring. I am wrapping up my wiring projects and everything is working great except for one last circuit. I tried to get fancy with this one and I am not sure what might be wrong and am looking for help. I built a custom console with a hidden compartment that locks using this solenoid.

I didn't want someone accidentally flipping the switch to open this compartment so I figured out a way (I think) to require two switches to activate it. I have two spdt on-off-on (momentary) switches so you have to press and hold both to unlock the door). One switch operates device A, the other (on) of that same switch powers the relay for the lock, The second switch operates device B, the other (on) of that second switch acts as the signal wire for the lock relay. Here's the schematic for the circuit.

My problem with this circuit is that I am getting 12v power to my relay for power from the first switch, and I am getting 12v power from the second switch to activate the relay, but I am not getting any readable current from the output pin from the relay. It's a brand new relay, is it possible it is bad, does this happen sometimes or am I doing something wrong here?

As always, your help is always appreciated!
Old 07-24-2014, 12:13 AM

Received 222 Likes on 178 Posts

Ok if I am reading this correct the two wires you have coming from the switches provide 12 positive? If so is this how you have it wired?

The lock needs to be grounded and so does the relay..

Name:  Image1-10.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  46.2 KB
Old 07-24-2014, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by mamonti
Ok if I am reading this correct the two wires you have coming from the switches provide 12 positive? If so is this how you have it wired? The lock needs to be grounded and so does the relay..
Yup, that's how it's wired. The lock didn't activate (unlock) so I started probing with the multimeter and am not getting an output from my relay, I do have the relay and lock grounded.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:48 AM
Triton

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

The relay is wired correctly? Wires going to right terminals?
Old 07-24-2014, 12:50 AM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Use a Clip Lead to jumper/bypass the Contacts of the questionable Relay. Or, if it's in a Socket, unplug it. Use something like a bent Paper Clip or Long Nose Pliers to do the same thing: jumper the Relay Contacts together. If the Lock then works, the questionable Relay is bad.

Last edited by Engineer Guy; 07-24-2014 at 01:01 AM.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by WHITE TRITON
The relay is wired correctly? Wires going to right terminals?
Yeah, that was the first thing I checked.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by Engineer Guy
Use a Clip Lead to jumper/bypass the Contacts of the questionable Relay. Or, if it's in a Socket, unplug it. Use something like a bent Paper Clip or Long Nose Pliers to do the same thing: jumper the Relay Contact together. If the Lock then works, the questionable Relay is bad.
Thanks, I'll try that!
Old 07-24-2014, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by Engineer Guy
Use a Clip Lead to jumper/bypass the Contacts of the questionable Relay. Or, if it's in a Socket, unplug it. Use something like a bent Paper Clip or Long Nose Pliers to do the same thing: jumper the Relay Contacts together. If the Lock then works, the questionable Relay is bad.
Just to confirm , I jumper pins 30 & 86, correct?
Old 07-24-2014, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by The Machine
Just to confirm , I jumper pins 30 & 86, correct?
My bad, I meant pins 30 & 87, correct?
Old 07-24-2014, 01:37 AM

Thanks guys for the help, I jumpered the relay terminals as was suggested and sure enough the lock worked. Looks like I'll be grabbing a new relay in the morning. Thanks again guys!!!

Quick Reply: secret compartment circuit/relay troubleshooting help please!