Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sct x4

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 01:21 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Sct x4

hey all, im just about out of warranty (500 miles left) and was thinking about getting the SCT X4. anybody have any negative things to say about it or any reasons I shouldn't use a tuner?
Old 10-13-2016, 01:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldnt bother with the package tune, go through someone like stage 3 performance and get some custom tunes. The custom tunes make a huge difference on the 5.0, with the race tune on 91 octane the tires break loose shifting into 2nd and chirp shifting into 3rd.

My biggest regret is that I didnt spend the extra on the Livewire vs the X4, its kind of a hassle if you ever decide to switch tunes. You have to shut the truck off and run through the process to retune, which takes 5-10min.
The following users liked this post:
grio19 (10-13-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 01:41 PM
Skint

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ordered one for my 2011 5.0 Lariat and my truck would never take the pre loaded tunes, the tuner showed every thing was good to go but when i would try and start my truck it would shut off. I tried three times, each time on the phone with customer support. Finally i was worried i would cause permanent damage and sent it back. SCT worked with me and gave me a full refund.
grio19 (10-13-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 01:56 PM

Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by peterwinkle
I wouldnt bother with the package tune, go through someone like stage 3 performance and get some custom tunes. The custom tunes make a huge difference on the 5.0, with the race tune on 91 octane the tires break loose shifting into 2nd and chirp shifting into 3rd.

My biggest regret is that I didnt spend the extra on the Livewire vs the X4, its kind of a hassle if you ever decide to switch tunes. You have to shut the truck off and run through the process to retune, which takes 5-10min.
I have an X4, and sometimes wish went with the livewire also. I'm pretty sure changing the tunes is the same with the LW and X4, but I would have liked the gauge displays better with the LW, especially when towing.

I definitely recommend a custom tuner. Get the device from your preferred tuner with the custom tunes and it will usually be cheaper than buying them separately.
grio19 (10-13-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 02:05 PM

Received 844 Likes on 495 Posts

Ya you have to shut the truck off with the Livewire also, it's the exact same process as the x4 as far as loading a tune. I had the Livewire but had a lot of issues with the screen so ended up getting an x4 which also has gauges they just aren't as pretty.

As said though definitely get the device through a custom tune company...5 star, MPT..... much better results
The following 2 users liked this post by Sirikenewtron:
grio19 (10-13-2016), RLXXI (10-13-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 04:00 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

The only thing the live wire offers over the x4 are the gauges on screen, other than that, it's exactly the same in function. Not worth the extra cash to me.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sirikenewtron
Ya you have to shut the truck off with the Livewire also, it's the exact same process as the x4 as far as loading a tune. I had the Livewire but had a lot of issues with the screen so ended up getting an x4 which also has gauges they just aren't as pretty.

As said though definitely get the device through a custom tune company...5 star, MPT..... much better results

Good to know, I had to work with SCT to get mine to work initially (wasnt resetting some file) and was asking the tech about it... apparently I misunderstood. He was saying the livewire you could "tune on the fly". If that's not the case then maybe I made the right choice with the X4.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:33 PM

He was saying the livewire you could "tune on the fly". If that's not the case then maybe I made the right choice with the X4.
The only vehicle you can "tune on the fly" is a diesel.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:21 PM

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Thats the one to buy .... way more options than anything else and your not stuck with only canned tunes like the superchips , that I made the mistake of buying .... For the cost of a Tuner its best to buy one that will always suit your needs from the get go .. Im stuck with what I got because I cant afford to upgrade to an SCTX4 and resale on a super chips is nil maybe 150.00 ... its better than stock no doubt about that but it could use custom help and with superchips you dont get the option of custom tunes ...... I believe the SCT is like 400 plus with just canned tunes but worth it after buying a couple good custom tunes ...wish Id done more research before I bought
Old 10-13-2016, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by GotHonks?
Thats the one to buy .... way more options than anything else and your not stuck with only canned tunes like the superchips , that I made the mistake of buying .... For the cost of a Tuner its best to buy one that will always suit your needs from the get go .. Im stuck with what I got because I cant afford to upgrade to an SCTX4 and resale on a super chips is nil maybe 150.00 ... its better than stock no doubt about that but it could use custom help and with superchips you dont get the option of custom tunes ...... I believe the SCT is like 400 plus with just canned tunes but worth it after buying a couple good custom tunes ...wish Id done more research before I bought
$429 that includes 3 custom tunes, $10 each for more custom tunes, I got 5, this is the package I went with. http://www.stage3motorsports.com/701...ar-Tuning.html

I opted for the optional powertrain warranty they offer just incase.

Last edited by RLXXI; 10-13-2016 at 06:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Sct x4