Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scratched!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 04:40 PM

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Scratched!!!

My wife and son were loading a few bags of coal ashes into the bed of my truck so I could get rid of them. Instead of opening the tailgate my son being lazy as usual decided to just jump in the bed and sort of drag the bags over the paint and into the bed while my wife pushed. The end result is many tiny scratches where the bag dragged across the paint. Needless to say, I'm livid because they could've taken some care in putting them in the truck and opened the tailgate. But my son dislikes manual labor and always thinks of the quickest way to get a job done.

I was at work otherwise I would've done it myself...

My question to all the forumites is this, how do I easily remove the scratches or will it need to go to a body shop?

The scratches are not deep and appear to be just the top coat and clear. When I was more adept at this stuff back in the day I used to use 3M rubbing compound is this not OK?

Should I use a claybar?

Popular Reply

12-19-2013, 05:27 PM
CptCook

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jwanck11
Not sure why you are ragging on your son on an internet forum? How would he take it if he read what you have written? Perhaps you might take the time to clearly explain your expectations and more so take the time with him to demonstrate, by way of working side by side, work ethic and how to think through ways and means of accomplishing things. You have a way that it should be done in your head. You made NO EFFORT to explain the process and your truck got scratched. You are now openly blaming your family in a public forum. The only person you ought to be pissed at is yourself. Just a thought.

Wash. Polish. Wax.
The preceding rant brought to you by the same folks that insist that every child in the league get a "Participated" trophy. Yes Virginia, there really are winners and losers. Coddling is really not a successful parenting technique.

You have never met the OP Mr. Wanck. You have no idea how he has raised his son. Have you ever met a teenager before? LOL, it doesn't really matter what you tell them. Please answer the questions asked and leave the Dr Phil crap to Dr. Phil.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

time to trade it in (the son that is)
Old 12-19-2013, 04:50 PM

Received 251 Likes on 137 Posts

Claybar is not meant for scratches.

A mild abrasive polish followed by a wax will help. I've used meguiars cleaner polish for similar scratches, it's a combination of both.

Having said that, it is a truck and sometimes the first scratch is a good thing as you can use it like a truck without wincing from here on.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:51 PM

Received 240 Likes on 178 Posts

Scratch X,,
Old 12-19-2013, 04:52 PM
Platinum

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

First, get rid of the kid.

Just kidding.

Could you take some pictures? If you run your finger nail over the scratch, does your nail feel/get caught in the scratch? Do you have a Dual Action (DA) Polisher?

Depending on the severity of it, I may be able to walk you through the process using the correct product combo.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:57 PM
Platinum

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Truck owner
Scratch X,,
Scratch X just hides it, short term fix.

And by short term fix I really mean half assing it.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:01 PM

Received 168 Likes on 156 Posts

I used this stuff on my Mustang around the drivers door, its a little work well worth the outcome.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:05 PM

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by skavolution
time to trade it in (the son that is)
If only that were an option.

[MENTION=109567]TeamZambo[/MENTION]

The scratches are not deep, my finger does not get caught in the scratch. I'll take some pics tomorrow as it's dark out. I do not have a dual action polisher but can get one.

I understand the getting a first scratch is hard and once you get it it makes it easier to use the truck as a truck. But I don't have a problem loading the truck up with construction debris and coal and furniture. But I take care to pay attention how I'm loading it so I don't knick the paint. I'm pissed because it could've been prevented had my son not been lazy and my wife opened the tailgate.
The following users liked this post:
FordRoushFan (12-19-2013)
Old 12-19-2013, 05:09 PM

Received 240 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by TeamZambo
Scratch X just hides it, short term fix.

And by short term fix I really mean half assing it.

Meguiar's Scratch X 2.0 works good. It takes out simple scratch swirls.. if his scratches are in the paint its a bigger job..I say try the first step for you go all out to remove,
Old 12-19-2013, 05:11 PM

Received 325 Likes on 223 Posts

Not sure why you are ragging on your son on an internet forum? How would he take it if he read what you have written? Perhaps you might take the time to clearly explain your expectations and more so take the time with him to demonstrate, by way of working side by side, work ethic and how to think through ways and means of accomplishing things. You have a way that it should be done in your head. You made NO EFFORT to explain the process and your truck got scratched. You are now openly blaming your family in a public forum. The only person you ought to be pissed at is yourself. Just a thought.

Wash. Polish. Wax.

Last edited by jwanck11; 12-19-2013 at 05:14 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jwanck11:
EcoBrook (12-20-2013), Red13 (12-19-2013)

Quick Reply: Scratched!!!