Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RX Catch Can on ecoboost - help with venting

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 07:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RX Catch Can on ecoboost - help with venting

Hi Guys,

Been a while since I was in here. I notice that there is always oily film on my intake side where PCV Valve hooks up. Also notice some oil in the preturbo inlet(or I believe it is pre-turbo inlet) side coming from driver side valve cover to preturbo inlet. I decide to pull the trigger on the RX catch can with Tracy. I got the package and spoke to tracy on how to set up the catch can but still a little confuse on how exactly it should be setup for best results.

I"m trying to understand how the pcv is setup on our motor. I know passenger side valve cover has PCV valve. The Driver side looks like it's just an breather hole vented to what looks like a preturbo inlet(again I'm not positive). My first question is does the driver side get fresh air being push by the turbo into it and venting out the passenger side via PCV or does the turbo suck air out of it like the intake does on the PCV? Or does it do both?

The can I got is the one with dual check valve. It has two outlets and one inlet in the middle. I'm sure someone has heard of this, I know the middle inlet is connected to the PCV on passenger side.(GOT THIS) One of the outlet goes into intake where the PCV would normally go, and the second outlet goes into the preturbo inlet. This is where I'm confuse. How does driver valve cover breather hole connect in relation to the can and the pre-turbo inlet. I was told I can tee the third outlet from the can to the breather from the valve cover then to the pre-turbo inlet, but this is no good isn't it? because when under boost doesn't the breather push oil back out into the preturbo inlet? Isn't this the original reason why there's oil there, won't this bypass the catch can? I know the check valve won't let air back into the can but then it'll just go directly back into the preturbo inlet.

STUMP here, please help. Sorry for the long post.
I've attach a drawing of the setup. The red arrow and line is What I'm questioning. Hope the image helps.

Andy
Attached Thumbnails RX Catch Can on ecoboost - help with venting-ecoboost-image.jpg  

Last edited by shingi; 10-31-2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:11 AM

no one on this? wow shocking to me as most boost vehicles owners uses a catch can. Some help would be appreciated.

bump
Old 11-01-2012, 09:06 AM

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

Even NA engines should have one. I need to get one. How much did yours cost?
Old 11-01-2012, 10:08 AM

it was $159 w/ free shipping. Anyone care to chime in. I'm just waiting on what the driver side valve cover does. It's hard to get accurate information for a new engine. If all it does is just venting out then I don't think you need the dual check valve, you may just need the single check valve only, and just run two cans. Still patiently waiting for more response before I put it on.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:50 AM
Keepin' the lights on!

Received 229 Likes on 153 Posts

I think it would be better to run two cans. One can per vent. One inlet, one outlet. I don't know how much venting the passenger side does but I get a ton of blow-by from the drivers side. I don't like that because it sucks it through the left turbo and into the IC. My IC actually is leaking oil. Seen it before on many powerstrokes so nothing new to me. You would think Ford would thought of this.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:52 AM

so does the driver side valve cover vent via the preturbo inlet? I was told that it was a fresh air source?
Old 11-01-2012, 01:20 PM

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

The way I see it, and I could be wrong, but the intake air is in a constant vacuum and would be sucking the crankcase pressure out and into the turbo.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:40 AM
Keepin' the lights on!

Received 229 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Centexguy
The way I see it, and I could be wrong, but the intake air is in a constant vacuum and would be sucking the crankcase pressure out and into the turbo.
Thats how I see it too. It seems to suck a lot of oil laden vapor as well. I don't like it and plan to change it down the road.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:28 PM

i understand the intake suction is a constant vacum but it's connected to pcv valve so it only sucks air when pcv vents it. PCV is close during boost so where does the venting go or did I make a mistake and PCV is open during boost and close during idle?
Old 11-05-2012, 07:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Only need to do the passenger side where the pcv is.

Quick Reply: RX Catch Can on ecoboost - help with venting