Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rustproofing your new F150

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 11:55 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Default rustproofing your new F150

wondering if anyone on the forum has rustproofed / oil sprayed their new F150? I'm not certain of the rust warranty on the truck (will check manual tonight). however, looking for your thoughts / reco's on keeping the harshness of the winter off 'er
Old 11-04-2009, 12:10 PM

Received 1,390 Likes on 664 Posts

ive found on my vehicles that regular washing works the better at preventing rust than rust preventatives. in the winter i try to hit up a touchless care wash with an underbody wash once a week or so. my ranger is 8 years old and has been through a few michigan winters and its remained rust free. i wash it religiously in the winter.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:14 PM
Boost junkie

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kozal01
ive found on my vehicles that regular washing works the better at preventing rust than rust preventatives. in the winter i try to hit up a touchless care wash with an underbody wash once a week or so. my ranger is 8 years old and has been through a few michigan winters and its remained rust free. i wash it religiously in the winter.
x2 now im in oklahoma so our winters are not as harsh as some but i wash my vehicles all the time in the winter, my dad has a 94 f150 and he has done this and theres not a spot of rust on that truck
Old 11-04-2009, 12:23 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

/\ i was thinking the same, (wash at minimum once a week) thanks for the input guys
Old 11-04-2009, 12:30 PM

Received 1,390 Likes on 664 Posts

also if you have access to a heated garage i like to get mine inside once and a while and wash the inside bottom of the doors, the bottom lip of the tailgate, up inside the rockers and cab corners and other spots that the car washes cant get to. its alot of work but its worth it IMO
Old 11-04-2009, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boeshield works great. Make yourself a long nozzle with heat shrink tubing and some of those red spray can straws. Get the Boeshield into the door seams and the tailgate seams. Plus anywhere where water can sit.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is at the dealer right now getting the platinum protection done.
I went with the electronic module this time as well as undercoating for rust protection .The undercoating also serves as a sound insulation.
Some feel it isnt worth the money.But I look at it as they gurantee it for 10 years.That includes rust,paint fade and fabric protection.

Last edited by rick4x4; 11-04-2009 at 02:17 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rick4x4
Mine is at the dealer right now getting the platinum protection done.
I went with the electronic module this time as well as undercoating for rust protection .The undercoating also serves as a sound insulation.
Some feel it isnt worth the money.But I look at it as they gurantee it for 10 years.That includes rust,paint fade and fabric protection.
And it looks good on most colored trucks to have the under-carriage and wheel wells blacked out.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:12 PM
Bye F150, hello F250

Received 92 Likes on 61 Posts

In my opinion, nothing is required to rust proof the truck, or any other vehicle. Bare frames and bodies are dipped into a sealer that, well, seals edges and unpainted areas to prevent rust from forming. Newer cars are lasting much longer than older ones, before hot-dipping was ever done.

One of the biggest causes of rust is the constant warm to cold and back cycling. Condensation forms, then drops into the worst areas, then, when it freezes, expands, cracks the surface paint, and exposes primer and bare metal and away it goes. If you do feel that you want something, I recommend Krown, or similar- something that remains viscous and free flowing and is a water displacer, to keep water from forming, and keeps the nasties flowing down and out. Some hard under coating will actually trap water in small openings and do more damage. The 10+ yeas that it gives is on perforation, not surface.

The F150 comes with a 5 year, unlimited miles, corrosion protection coverage.

In my opinion, paint will not fade in 10 years (its clear coated, base coat paint may have faded but there are no base-coats anymore), and again, my opinion (I am an Electrical Engineer), Electronic Rust inhibitors do not work on vehicles.

I have owned may cars, and live in Ontario, where they start using salt in November, and have never had a rust issue on any vehicle, ever.

Cheers
Old 11-04-2009, 05:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Rustproofing

I happen to believe in having a vehicle Ziebarted. Just bought a Calif 07 F150 a couple of months ago, already had it rustproofed. Here we get enough sleet and snow along with road salt during the winter to do alot of damage. I've had vehicles rust through before but not one that I've had Ziebarted. I've had some 15-20 years and the bodies were still as solid as the day I bought them.

If I didn't think it was worth it, I wouldn't put the $$ into having it done.

Quick Reply: rustproofing your new F150