Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rust issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 06:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rust issue

Hello guys

2010 F150 Supercrew, and I see the cab corners on both sides are starting to rust. You dont really notice it unless looking for it, but when looking up at it from underneath it doesnt look that good and is fairly soft.

My question is for people who have experience with body work.

I do not overly want to fork out 3-4 grand to replace the cab corners and rocker panels. What one body shop mentioned (although he couldnt do the work) was a method of cleaning up the rust as best you can, covering all of the areas with some sort of rust converter/inhibitor ect and covering it all up with rock guard.

Does anyone have any experience with something like this?
Old 08-24-2017, 06:24 PM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

Either is an option. Just depends on how much time and money you want to dump into it..
Old 08-24-2017, 06:27 PM

I dont excpect the rock guard option to last a lifetime, but if I can do that and delay the rust for 5-10 years I am all for it.

Just want peoples opinion if this is a valid option. Not too familiar with body rust and how to slow it down
Old 08-24-2017, 06:32 PM
King Hater

It will delay it but you will always be fighting rust. I'm guessing you live where they use salt on the roads.

If I lived in the rust belt I would look hard at the aluminium body trucks.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:37 PM

I certainly do, there are lots of trucks without rust that are older, some trucks just get it worse than others I guess.

Plan on keeping this truck for 5 or so years at least, just want to keep it looking half decent.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:14 PM

Received 3,011 Likes on 1,669 Posts

Originally Posted by Tothemax
It will delay it but you will always be fighting rust. I'm guessing you live where they use salt on the roads.

If I lived in the rust belt I would look hard at the aluminium body trucks.
Aluminum sure won't rust, but it still can corrode. The paint will bubble and flake off. You'll just get the powdery white stuff instead of rust. Not enough time has gone by to know they'll be that much better than steel when blasted with salt all winter.

They only switched to shed a few pounds anyway. Not to build a truck to better whithstand northern winters.

That said, I'm still going to buy a new F150 in the next year or so. But not because they are aluminum.

To give my opinion on the ops question, I would have it properly fixed if it were my truck. Once rust starts and has gotten that bad, rust reformer won't do much of anything once it gets blasted with salt again.

Last edited by 2008__XL; 08-24-2017 at 08:17 PM.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:58 PM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,052 Likes on 6,499 Posts

You've gotten some good advice, but I'd like to add to it. You can fix the rust all day long, but to prevent it, you have to find out why you got it to start with. Salt, brine, yepper, but the Screws are known to rot out cab corners due to leaks from the highmount stoplight, and/or, the rear window leaking. The water finds it's way down to the cab corners, and there it sits, slowly making rust. Take a look around, yours won't be the only one.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:49 PM
King Hater

Originally Posted by 2008__XL
Aluminum sure won't rust, but it still can corrode. The paint will bubble and flake off. You'll just get the powdery white stuff instead of rust. Not enough time has gone by to know they'll be that much better than steel when blasted with salt all winter.

They only switched to shed a few pounds anyway. Not to build a truck to better whithstand northern winters.

That said, I'm still going to buy a new F150 in the next year or so. But not because they are aluminum.

To give my opinion on the ops question, I would have it properly fixed if it were my truck. Once rust starts and has gotten that bad, rust reformer won't do much of anything once it gets blasted with salt again.
Aluminium has been around for a long time. It has been used on fire trucks for ever. Seems to hold up better than steel.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:16 AM

Received 141 Likes on 135 Posts

Keep in mind a lot of that rust is coming from inside the cab corners and rockers. So you can clean the outside up all you want but you're not stopping it much. You might get a couple more years out of it and you'll be left with a worst mess than you have now. If you plan on keeping the truck for the 5-10 you mentioned and want it looking good. Get it fixed right then get the truck undercoated every year. Also, make sure to clean out your rockers after everywinter.
Old 08-26-2017, 11:16 AM

Received 153 Likes on 87 Posts

Part of he rust issue is the crap they use in the roads during the winter. The second is all the holes were the rockers are and cab corners are if you get it fixed try to seal them up best you can