Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running board clearance lights?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 07:47 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Running board clearance lights?

Anyone install these? Just had an idea but wouldn't know how to hook up the electrical. Two on each side of the truck, on top if the board at the front and back. Maybe even have them blink with the turn signals...
Old 01-14-2014, 07:51 PM

Received 613 Likes on 497 Posts

wire them to your dome light, on when you unlock your car only, or wire them to your parking lights, always on when lights are on. or wire them to both,
Old 01-14-2014, 08:01 PM
noob :)

Received 103 Likes on 84 Posts

look into basic 12 volt wiring to get an idea... some wire, a switch, and a fuse/holder is all that's needed for a simple wiring project.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:21 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

You mean something like what I have on my truck?
The following users liked this post:
elkymutt (01-14-2014)
Old 01-14-2014, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Kev3451
You mean something like what I have on my truck?
Nice! I'm thinking of mounting the lights even closer to the ends of the boards. Say, an inch from each end.

How tough/long was the install? I know how to mount the lights but running the wires for reliability and corrosion resistance is my biggest concern as is how to properly wire up to where exactly. Lol
Old 01-14-2014, 08:47 PM

I wont lie...it was a total b*tch to wire. But I love the end result! They were stud mounted style lights so I drilled a 1/4inch hole through the running board bracket for mounting. I kept all the wires nicely tucked up at the top of the rocker panels all zip tied nicely. Used butt connectors to connect my + wire to the other light on the same running board. Then ran that wire up behind the wheel well into the engine bay. Did the same for the other side and brought both + wires from either side and into one wire into the cab through a light up toggle switch and used a fuse tap (5amp) for power. Also! I shrink tube every connection possible and used a rust inhibitor all over the amber lights just to be safe. Being in Canada they lay the salt on the roads like you wouldnt believe. All the grounds were done using exsiting grounds on the truck so no new holes were drilled for that. Hope this helps
The following users liked this post:
Wanted33 (01-15-2014)
Old 01-14-2014, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Kev3451
I wont lie...it was a total b*tch to wire. But I love the end result! They were stud mounted style lights so I drilled a 1/4inch hole through the running board bracket for mounting. I kept all the wires nicely tucked up at the top of the rocker panels all zip tied nicely. Used butt connectors to connect my + wire to the other light on the same running board. Then ran that wire up behind the wheel well into the engine bay. Did the same for the other side and brought both + wires from either side and into one wire into the cab through a light up toggle switch and used a fuse tap (5amp) for power. Also! I shrink tube every connection possible and used a rust inhibitor all over the amber lights just to be safe. Being in Canada they lay the salt on the roads like you wouldnt believe. All the grounds were done using exsiting grounds on the truck so no new holes were drilled for that. Hope this helps
Sounds top notch!
I'm in Canada too (GTA).
Sounds like a FULL day project...
Old 01-14-2014, 09:01 PM

Oh sweet! I'm in Kitchener. Yeah it took me a solid 6 hours to make it proper. Its a real head turner though, thats why I like it! You considered the raptor light mod at all? The 4 amber lights at the top of my grill.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:52 AM

I would consider the raptor front light mod after installing the board lights, but that's only if it comes out clean and reliable! How are the board lights holding up to the slush, snow, salt and sand?
Old 01-15-2014, 12:41 PM

Received 198 Likes on 183 Posts

I've thought about doing the same thing on mine but I might just get the recon big rig running lights instead

Quick Reply: Running board clearance lights?