Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rugged wheel well installation

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 05:55 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Rugged wheel well installation

I installed my rugged wheel liners today. Installing wasn't bad at all with the wheels off. They look pretty nice too.

I do have a question though for people with the Ford OEM fender flares. I put the liner lip in between the flare and the fender lip. It's fits great but I'm wondering if it should go inside the fender lip or if it matters at all?

Rugged wheel well installation-image-1581177073.jpg

Rugged wheel well installation-image-901993653.jpg
Old 04-16-2012, 05:58 PM

Received 84 Likes on 69 Posts

I believe it sits on top of fender lip. When u screw the to lower posts back down it pulls it tight. At least, that's how I did mine.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:30 PM
Deer Slayer

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Belushi
I believe it sits on top of fender lip. When u screw the to lower posts back down it pulls it tight. At least, that's how I did mine.
Yes goes on top of fender lip not inbetween the fender lip and flare. Takes a little more finagling to get it up there but that is how it is meant to fit.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:42 PM

Ugh, not looking forward to maneuvering it up there but I want it to be installed correctly.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by MO2012
Ugh, not looking forward to maneuvering it up there but I want it to be installed correctly.
Lol. That thing was a pain in the *** to get up there for me. It was a little cold outside. But not bad. It definitely did not go as smoothly as several peeps said it would.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:10 PM

It does seem to fit perfect between the flare and the fender lip. Completely seals off the wheel well. Putting it above would leave slight chance for crud getting up there

Last edited by MO2012; 04-16-2012 at 07:21 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by MO2012
It does seem to fit perfect between the flare and the fender lip. Completely seals off the wheel well. Putting it above would leave slight chance for crud getting up there
Don't fix what ain't broken. Lol. If its snug, I'd leave it. Just keep an eye on it.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:40 PM

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

They definitely mount on top of the fender lip. If you're worried about something getting inbetween the liner and lip just seal it with RTV. Here's a thread I started last September. You'll get all the info regarding these liners right here.
https://www.f150forum.com/f38/inner-...liners-110362/
Old 04-16-2012, 07:56 PM
Deer Slayer

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Belushi
Don't fix what ain't broken. Lol. If its snug, I'd leave it. Just keep an eye on it.
Trust me install it the correct way above the fender lip..I at first put mine inbetween the flare and lip and if you look closely it pushes down on the flare and could cause issues down the road..And my suggestion is DO NOT USE rtv..remember what seals water out also holds water in..The rtv could trap water and cause more damage than good..my suggestion is to take them out once a year, clean in there and let dry well then reinstall..Also do it in the summer when it is warmer..These liners are easier to work with when they are warmed up in the sun for awhile..I researched the 40 page thread on these to death so that is where I got my info..RTV isn't a good idea in my opinion..It will never be perfect and water and crud will still find its way up there..Pain to take out and reinstall but once a year is worth it..just my .02
Old 04-16-2012, 08:29 PM

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sluggo1
Trust me install it the correct way above the fender lip..I at first put mine inbetween the flare and lip and if you look closely it pushes down on the flare and could cause issues down the road..And my suggestion is DO NOT USE rtv..remember what seals water out also holds water in..The rtv could trap water and cause more damage than good..my suggestion is to take them out once a year, clean in there and let dry well then reinstall..Also do it in the summer when it is warmer..These liners are easier to work with when they are warmed up in the sun for awhile..I researched the 40 page thread on these to death so that is where I got my info..RTV isn't a good idea in my opinion..It will never be perfect and water and crud will still find its way up there..Pain to take out and reinstall but once a year is worth it..just my .02
Its not realistic to think that someone will pull these liners out once a year. They're to much of a PITA to install to begin with. Apply plenty of undercoating before installation and then seal with RTV. The combination of undercoating and how tight the liners are pulled down over the lip will keep anything from collecting against the metal lip.

Quick Reply: Rugged wheel well installation