Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough ride with new lifted strut! Help!!

Old 04-30-2016, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Rough ride with new lifted strut! Help!!

Hey all,

I purchased a 2011 f-150 screw FX4 5.0 recently and installed a setup of new Rancho 2" lift quick struts. I want to have the leveling look but want to maintain the factory ride, getting gold I guess. The issue is even with struts set to their softest settings it rides like a brick now, not pleased.

Has anyone else experienced this with these Rancho quick struts? What is the best method to level it out and maintain nice factory ride? Spacers on top of stock struts? Spaces installed in stock struts or did I just get a bad pair?

Thanks in advance!!
Old 04-30-2016, 06:12 PM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

Originally Posted by nate438
Hey all, I purchased a 2011 f-150 screw FX4 5.0 recently and installed a setup of new Rancho 2" lift quick struts. I want to have the leveling look but want to maintain the factory ride, getting gold I guess. The issue is even with struts set to their softest settings it rides like a brick now, not pleased. Has anyone else experienced this with these Rancho quick struts? What is the best method to level it out and maintain nice factory ride? Spacers on top of stock struts? Spaces installed in stock struts or did I just get a bad pair? Thanks in advance!!
It's not possible. The settings are strictly for the damping of the shocks not the springs themselves. If you want stock ride you will have to put in stock struts with a spacer lift.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:23 PM

I was afraid of that.

I have heard of that you can put the spacers on top of oem struts or you can take the oem strut apart and put the space inside the top portion of it. Supposedly that make for the best setup you can get when it's installed in the top of the strut? To mean it would seem to be the same thing?
Old 04-30-2016, 10:30 PM

I was afraid of that. I have heard of that you can put the spacers on top of oem struts or you can take the oem strut apart and put the space inside the top portion of it. Supposedly that make for the best setup you can get when it's installed in the top of the strut? To mean it would seem to be the same thing?
Basically, if you want stock ride but level then you need a spacer kit. This will be a puck that mounts on top of your struts that get you level but has the same ride.

Then there is Bilsteins, this is a shock that uses springs and some other parts off the stock setup. These have several different settings from stock height up to 2.25". The stock height will get you a stock feel with better suspension control.

You may also give them some time to break in and settle. I'd recommend putting damping setting in the middle.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:35 PM

I have about 800 miles on them right now and they ride really rough. I also have 33x 12.50's Toyo M/T's on it 10 ply. So what I'm trying to figure out is, is it the tires causing the harsh ride or the rancho's, or potentially both?

Why would I want to go back to the middle setting on them? that just stiffens the ride back up? Unless I'm missing something?

Thanks for your thoughts by the way!
Old 04-30-2016, 10:40 PM

I have about 800 miles on them right now and they ride really rough. I also have 33x 12.50's Toyo M/T's on it 10 ply. So what I'm trying to figure out is, is it the tires causing the harsh ride or the rancho's, or potentially both? Why would I want to go back to the middle setting on them? that just stiffens the ride back up? Unless I'm missing something? Thanks for your thoughts by the way!
Yeah, the tires are probably adding to the stiff ride especially MTs. What psi?

It's just a good place to try and start again to experiment. All that know does is change the damping rate. That basically controls the speed of the compression and expansion.

Your tires may also break in more but it will never be like stock. Sorry brother!
Old 04-30-2016, 10:54 PM

I have had them at 40 psi and now down to 36 psi to try to soften it up, not sure I can really go lower than that.

Yeah same page. I think I want to go back to stock struts, 2" in spacer up front and some BFG ko2's and call it good

Been reading what other guys are running and that seems to be a winning combo for most.

Here is a question for you, I have aftermarket XD 18" wheels with more of an offset than the factory wheels. Do you think that is playing into the rough ride at all being that is does put more weight out further on the spindles than the factory wheels? Or do you think the rancho's and MT's are 100% the issue?
Old 04-30-2016, 11:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's not the shocks. Rancho's are pretty soft, almost too soft on the "1" setting. I agree with the earlier comment and raise the fronts up halfway.

The load range E tires will make any half ton truck ride like a brick. Sell them and go back to c range or lighter if you want a smoother ride.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:28 PM

Thanks guys, I will crank up the settings to half way tomorrow. I was looking at BFG AT but if what you are saying from the load rating is true those will probably ride rough as well. Has you guys experiences a "C" load rating or less good AT tire? Not sure that's even possible?
Old 04-30-2016, 11:28 PM

Received 884 Likes on 672 Posts

Have the Ranchos. But I too figured most of the harsh ride was due to the tires I have since they were all put on at the same time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rough ride with new lifted strut! Help!!