Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough Country Lifts Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 03:51 PM
Active Duty Navy Chief

Received 210 Likes on 170 Posts
Default Rough Country Lifts Bad?

So I was pricing out lift installation prices and called the local shop (Called Trick Trucks) and asked them how much they'd charge to install a Rough Country 6 inch suspension lift. They said that they wouldn't touch it because it's total crap. I haven't heard that before. I know it may not be the BEST one out there but I never heard that about it before.

Anybody have opinions on this? I think it may be them being loyal to certain brands or something.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:03 PM

Received 123 Likes on 79 Posts

Everyone has their own opinions. I personally hate Pro Comp. I had them on a Ram and it was junk. The shop has obviously had bad experiences with RC. They consider them junk and don't want to install junk. They do not want you coming back to them with issues. Did they push another brand on you? If not, its definitely not brand loyalty. I personally would go with BDS just because I rarely hear of any problems with them in all the forums I am a member of.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:17 PM
Beer, Boats, and Trucks.

Received 603 Likes on 457 Posts

I'd guess to say they pushed BDS. It's a sponsor product of them, I remember that from looking around at 4x4 shops in the area. I hear nothing but great things about Rough Country, factor in the low cost and I hear even better things. Most people/places will put down low cost solutions (whether they have experience with them or now) because they want to justify to you (and deep down to themselves) that their more expensive solutions was the better solutions, human nature lol

disclaimer: I dont have a Rough Country 6" lift or any 6" lift for that matter. I have an awesome Rough Country Leveling kit and have read numerous reviews of the Rough country 6" lift that say nothing but good things.

ALSO love your truck Dave. Glad to see you are looking at getting a lift, excited to see how she looks!

Last edited by berty; 02-22-2016 at 04:20 PM.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:21 PM

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

I'm happy with my 6" BDS, but I do not believe RC to be "junk." Plenty of people who have RC and are happy with it, especially on a budget.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:32 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Who ever told you RC was bad is either an idiot or a liar, they make one of the most stout kits on the market, I have one on my truck because of that fact. I also have over 30 years suspension experience as well as Ford factory trained, ASE certified yada yada.

Find some one else to install your kit. I did mine my self.
The following 3 users liked this post by RLXXI:
Jacob5.0 (03-23-2023), Joe F (01-06-2019), whiteNblue92 (02-24-2016)
Old 02-22-2016, 04:41 PM
Active Duty Navy Chief

Received 210 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
Who ever told you RC was bad is either an idiot or a liar, they make one of the most stout kits on the market, I have one on my truck because of that fact. I also have over 30 years suspension experience as well as Ford factory trained, ASE certified yada yada.

Find some one else to install your kit. I did mine my self.
Appreciate the feedback gents! They did push BDS. I found a local mechanic to do the install for a thousand bucks. Anybody in the Maryland DC VA area wanna help me out? I'd rather pay a forum member than someone I don't know.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by discodave
Appreciate the feedback gents! They did push BDS. I found a local mechanic to do the install for a thousand bucks. Anybody in the Maryland DC VA area wanna help me out? I'd rather pay a forum member than someone I don't know.
I'm over in Delaware I know a guy who will definitely install it for a lot cheaper and I can promise you it'll ride great. EP Engine Performance is the best shop out here they installed my TuffCountry 2" leveling kit.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:54 PM

Received 228 Likes on 175 Posts

Just borrow the motor pools lift, air tools and a cut off wheel or plasma cutter and git r don, LOL.

From what I have read with 4x4s the worst part of installing the lift is cutting the rear cross member, to bolt up theirs, well maybe add-a-leafs if that is what it came with over blocks. If I lived closer I would jump at the opportunity to help, even though I haven't done one.

Old 02-22-2016, 04:55 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

I'm a little off the beaten path from your area, I'd do it for $650 including the alignment. It's an all day job so you would have to factor in hotel/rental car for 2 days as well as fuel here and back.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:03 PM

Received 884 Likes on 672 Posts

Perhaps RC's kits for other brands aren't that great? Or older models of their kits? Otherwise, the 4''' lift especially is very popular on here and has good feedback. It is my next major upgrade because $999 is a really good price for that.

Quick Reply: Rough Country Lifts Bad?