Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough Country 2.5 " Leveling Kit Experiece

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rough Country 2.5 " Leveling Kit Experiece

So.. I have read a lot on this forum regarding the rough country kits and the time came to replace the tires on the truck so I decided to purchase the kit and do it myself. The kit states 2-3 hours...and I would say this is true if... You have the tools you need (there were a couple of bolt sizes I did not have that were not listed) and you have to be comfortable under the front of your truck. The kit comes with documentation and their 800 number is invaluable. The strut assembly came off very easily. Three large nuts and three nuts on the assembly tower and I had it in my hands.
The spacer attached easily but when I went to add the strut assembliy back on the truck, it was a no go. The extra 2.5" just wouldnt fit. After talking to the 800 number, they suggested a spring compressor but that just didnt work. In the end, I had to drop the front bolt off the lower control arm which allowed me to drop the control arm assembly enough to slide the strut assembly back in.
The 2nd side (passenger) went a LOT faster and I finished the install by trimming the air dam just a bit to clear the 295/70/r18 tires that NTB put on this morning.

So...

1. Make sure you have all the tools you need before you start
2. Be OK with removing an extra bolt or two when putting the kit on the truck
3. Have your phone nearby. The guys at Rough Country are awesome and helped on the questions.
4. Follow the instructions to check clearances. You might have to cut off the airdam a bit.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used this kit also. It went about like you describe for me but I was able to use a pry bar and a dead blow and get the strut assembly back in the lower pocket. I also have a lift so that helped also. Id say it took me about 3 hrs for the front and 1.5hrs in the rear. After I added a shell, I ended up bumping the rear up to 1 3inch block instead of the two stacked for 1.875 (if Im remembering correct height).

All in all I give it a thumbs up also!

Quick Reply: Rough Country 2.5 " Leveling Kit Experiece